Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What am I missing? Its not deep green

Hey guys
I'm not getting that deep green color like I'd gotten before? It's been fertilized and the fertilizer had iron in it but wondering if it's Iron or Lime or maybe both?

I was in town today and can see other lawns with the deep green TTTF lawns so its not the weather. Another thing it could be, could it even be possible I have the grass "too thick"? I say too thick because it gets greener a few days after its mown, after it grows a day or two and makes you think ok, mowing too short but dam, I'm mowing at 3.25"???

This is after its grown a few days:

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i think I can see some slight variations in the green due to fertility. But excess fertility is not always a good thing. If you want top-quality and super dark green, sure, fertilize at a higher rate, and mow every three days--like they do at a baseball stadium or championship golf course. Just be ready with fungicide when the weather gets warm and humid. Also, the best lawn grasses are sometimes exceptionally dark green--but not the easiest to germinate and grow, and can be disease prone. The seed may be scarce.
Naturally a soil test may be helpful--if you don't mind spending over a hundred dollars you may want to do what the baseball and football groundskeepers do--order a "tissue test". This tests analyzes the percent of nutrients and 14 micronutrients actually in the plant--not in the soil. Better and more costly test.

http://www.agrianalysis.com/plant-ti...minology.shtml
Old 04-17-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's streaked for one thing. Try bumping the N if you want some more color.

I don't know what you used last year vs this year.

Sharpen your mower blade too.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ill check some notes from a class from winter. If I remember right with certains conditions with the soil iron doesn't work. Just remember the details though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
i think I can see some slight variations in the green due to fertility. But excess fertility is not always a good thing. If you want top-quality and super dark green, sure, fertilize at a higher rate, and mow every three days--like they do at a baseball stadium or championship golf course. Just be ready with fungicide when the weather gets warm and humid. Also, the best lawn grasses are sometimes exceptionally dark green--but not the easiest to germinate and grow, and can be disease prone. The seed may be scarce.
Naturally a soil test may be helpful--if you don't mind spending over a hundred dollars you may want to do what the baseball and football groundskeepers do--order a "tissue test". This tests analyzes the percent of nutrients and 14 micronutrients actually in the plant--not in the soil. Better and more costly test.

http://www.agrianalysis.com/plant-ti...minology.shtml
The variations you see might be due to the direction of the mower back and forth but your trained and might be truly seeing something, I did mow crossways and straight across also with the 48" rider also. It's not striped from fertilizer overlaps though.

If fertilizer is what I need to get it dark green, I can do without like you said be ready with the fungicide and I've just about got the brown patch down and under control, almost started to put Clearys down today but fixing to turn back cool so think I'll be ok now for another week, maybe two in the 7 day outlook.

So basically Riggle what your saying is there's not much I should do or want to do? I agree with you putting down fertilizer isn't an option.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 04-17-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
It's streaked for one thing. Try bumping the N if you want some more color.

I don't know what you used last year vs this year.

Sharpen your mower blade too.
Blades just got sharpened yesterday before I mowed. Again what your seeing is the direction of the 48" riding mower which makes it looked stripped.

Plus, that dark green your seeing in the second picture just up from the bottom/Center. there's a drain that comes out there for the rain gutters and that's the reason its real green there.

Let me get some better pics tomorrow and post, I just mowed yesterday

Then God created Women
Old 04-18-2013, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like it was wet when you mowed it or is that just the way TTTF normally looks???
Have you looked into a compaction issue lately???
You might reduce your ground speed in order to get a nicer cut with less clumping... otherwise you have a real nice lawn there...
Old 04-18-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Looks like it was wet when you mowed it or is that just the way TTTF normally looks???
Have you looked into a compaction issue lately???
You might reduce your ground speed in order to get a nicer cut with less clumping... otherwise you have a real nice lawn there...
Thanks Smallaxe

It was high before I cut when this pic was took, but wasn't wet just high and I only had a small amount of time to mow and get it done before the next dam weather system came it which was why it was high. Had been raining off/on for a week and was the first dry day I could get to it.

Aerated last fall, guy done a wonderful job for me

I'll get a pic here in 20 mintues

Then God created Women
Old 04-18-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here yu go guys, however the photo's don't do it much justice and I waited till it got some sun on it but might have to take more after I mow next time.

It looks dark dark green but its not

Then God created Women
Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kirk; it looks nice. Lawn pictures do not look good under sunny conditions. A cloudy day is best for grass photos. Yes, I see some slight mowing clumps. But with all this rain we have had--you just do not have a chance to mow it when you want. It will look better under more normal rainfall conditions.
However--on a professional field--they would mow three times per week. The groundskeeper would have his crew mow so that they never cut off more than an inch of new growth at a time, and collect the clippings. Championship golf greens are often mowed every day. For a clean cut they use an eleven blade reel greensmower. They take off about a tenth of an inch--so I have been told--I don't have any actual golf course experience.
http://locketurf.com/