Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Kirk; it looks nice. Lawn pictures do not look good under sunny conditions. A cloudy day is best for grass photos. Yes, I see some slight mowing clumps. But with all this rain we have had--you just do not have a chance to mow it when you want. It will look better under more normal rainfall conditions.
However--on a professional field--they would mow three times per week. The groundskeeper would have his crew mow so that they never cut off more than an inch of new growth at a time, and collect the clippings. Championship golf greens are often mowed every day. For a clean cut they use an eleven blade reel greensmower. They take off about a tenth of an inch--so I have been told--I don't have any actual golf course experience.
http://locketurf.com/
Thanks Riggle
And the main front where I see it the most gets sun all day. Like you said, the side and the back where you see its still in the shade, looks great.

So I'm overly concerned

More rain coming in tonight, mowed Tuesday and will mow again Saturday.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just thought I'd update

Been mowing at 3" which was when I'd see the more of a lighter color green like I said in the original post and looked like I was mowing to short.

I mowed yesterday, 3.75" and it looks great, still don't have the deep green but the higher it gets the greener it becomes.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hit it with some Milorganite.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Milorganite as it is your best buy for the additional Iron(Fe),,, which should eventually get the colors to pop...
Old 04-23-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Golf courses put a lot of iron when the have a PGA torument. Its expensive but it will turn grass dark green.

Wont hep the green thing but it looks like you should be bagging or get some better mulching blades or double cut.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For a green lawn you have to have photosynthesis. When you use N to push your lawn to grow, yes you do get photosynthesis at the top growth because blade sees the sun, but the lower blade doesn't....specially so when cutting grass higher than 3".

Chelated Iron (Fe) is what enhances photosynthesis therefore will cause a deeper green grass blade because iron is easily available in the soil for roots to absorb.

The only problem that I have when cutting grasses higher than 3" is you're just asking for problems to occur, depending on type of grass, humidity, and watering practice. I see most problems because grass is moist at crown which allows a healthy area for bugs and fungus to multiply.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuster View Post
For a green lawn you have to have photosynthesis. When you use N to push your lawn to grow, yes you do get photosynthesis at the top growth because blade sees the sun, but the lower blade doesn't....specially so when cutting grass higher than 3".

Chelated Iron (Fe) is what enhances photosynthesis therefore will cause a deeper green grass blade because iron is easily available in the soil for roots to absorb.

The only problem that I have when cutting grasses higher than 3" is you're just asking for problems to occur, depending on type of grass, humidity, and watering practice. I see most problems because grass is moist at crown which allows a healthy area for bugs and fungus to multiply.
EXACTLY!!!!
Which is why I'd like to keep the 3" cut, I do have a fungus problem and keeping it managed and under control. Someone else on here I've been talking with via PM for a long time now told me the same thing. I value his advice and been cutting at 3" in the spring till we start getting into the dry weather.

@larryinalabama
The clippings aren't normally a problem, the pics you see were taken after a cut when the grass was already higher then it should have been but I had no choice but to wait due to weather and rain.

Then God created Women
Old 04-23-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
EXACTLY!!!!
Which is why I'd like to keep the 3" cut, I do have a fungus problem and keeping it managed and under control. Someone else on here I've been talking with via PM for a long time now told me the same thing. I value his advice and been cutting at 3" in the spring till we start getting into the dry weather.

@larryinalabama
The clippings aren't normally a problem, the pics you see were taken after a cut when the grass was already higher then it should have been but I had no choice but to wait due to weather and rain.
See, most guys don't know how to keep a grass healthy, hence the term MOW BLOW AND GO
I never never understood why a maintenance guy would want to make his job harder already than what it is. Why do you cause growth without regard to whether it does anygood in the whole picture scheme
Old 04-24-2013, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I always cut low in the cool weather, and only raise the blade when it becomes too hot for the cool-season grasses to handle it... generally 2.5 in Spring/Fall and 3.5 in the Summer, but will let it get shaggy if the heat/drought is forcing dormancy...
Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I always cut low in the cool weather, and only raise the blade when it becomes too hot for the cool-season grasses to handle it... generally 2.5 in Spring/Fall and 3.5 in the Summer, but will let it get shaggy if the heat/drought is forcing dormancy...
I agree
Now I have 1.5" to take off on the next cut

Going back to the 3" so I might use the 48" riding mower, it mulches better than the push mower.

Thanks again

Then God created Women