Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

did I over bid this job??

Went and gave a estimate for just under 3 acres of lawn tonight! The back is pretty much wide open but the front has alot of beautiful landscaping so the owner wants the front bagged but not the rear! I figured 3.5 hours to do the entire yard, 2 hours of mowing with both my mowers (38" & 32" bagging the front) 1.5 hours of trimming and blowing debris clear! A pretty large driveway, unground pool and a big pool house to trim around plus 13 trees and a very large house.
Now for my calculations, I was at $40/hr to run both my mowers, trimmers and blowers then paying my man $13/hr. so $140 just for myself and equipment which includes fuel costs, and $45 for my help. Estimate came in at $185! Am I way to high on this one? Any advice or comments appreciated I'm still new to all this and this is hands down the biggest property I've given a estimate on so far!
22" John Deere JS60
Stihl FS90R
Stihl KM130R
Husqvarna 145BT backpack blower
4HP Craftsman walk behind edger
6X12 utility trailer
Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

U probly are going to want,more than $40 per hour as a company. if you are new , why r u paying help $13/hr thats HI imo. I think your bid is pretty fair overall tho.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

That makes me feel much better! I thought the homeowner was gonna fall over when I gave her the price but I did all the calculations over and over about 5 times and that's what I came up with. U think I should charge more then $40/hr? A good friend of mine works for me on big landscaping jobs and this would be the first on a mowing job and I feel he's worth every bit of $13/hr, I would feel 100% confident leaving any job for him to finish or do alone! It's hard to find good help around here so I'm ok with paying him that. He's only used on a as needed basis because i usually do everything solo and he always drops everything to help me out.
22" John Deere JS60
Stihl FS90R
Stihl KM130R
6X12 utility trailer
Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Way high IMO. I did a property that sound just like that minus the bagging and lady owner. 1.5-1 3/4 hours 61in and 48in. You aren't setup very well for large properties. What are you trimming and blowing for 1.5 hours that's crazy long. P.S this property I'm referring to was done solo with way more trees and no wide open areas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with the setup! Was the first time I went to give estimate and felt like my equipment just wasn't cut out for it to be done efficiently. Trying to save for a used ZTR 50" or bigger so these kind of jobs wouldn't be a problem but just don't have the funds for it yet. The trimming and blowing was the pool area and pool house was all fenced in with chain link so would need to trim both sides of it, plus the trees were spaced out across the entire propriety not close to one another, also has 6 big brick pillars with lights in then. And ALOT of driveway and the pool area, mainly what would make it so long was how spread out it all was, just the walk between you know!
22" John Deere JS60
Stihl FS90R
Stihl KM130R
6X12 utility trailer
Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I really felt awful about my setup leaving that property knowing that I'm not in any position to be able to complete that job efficiently enough to give a fair price!
22" John Deere JS60
Stihl FS90R
Stihl KM130R
6X12 utility trailer
Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

With out seeing it I would be $225 or more. A tip for you, we set up two of our WB with a string trimmer rack to use on bigger properties. We found to be faster to stop and trim that area instead of walking back to after wards. Note if you have allot of low hanging trees limbs ect. on properties you service this might not work for you and cost you more time.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

If you don't mind sharing Casey, what did you get to do the property that was similar?
22" John Deere JS60
Stihl FS90R
Stihl KM130R
6X12 utility trailer
Old 04-26-2013, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamYardsale4 View Post
If you don't mind sharing Casey, what did you get to do the property that was similar?
Not enough!! It came with the business I bought last year. They were good friend and he had two other properties that were done weekly for normal pricing. I was going to go up on it but he is hiring his son fulltime at his business and getting him to take care of the mowing. I did it for $65 but was going to go up to $85. If I had never mowed it and had to give a quote I would have been at $125 -150. He was a great client always paid quick and never questioned anything. Also did leaves for him.
Posted via Mobile Device