Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

this week i have had the toughest time I have ever had in my life. this all happened THIS week!

first, my mower tire went flat, had to replace that.

then, the little hitch locker on my trailer failed as i was loading up the mower, and it made the whole trailer rise up and put a big a$$ deep scratch on my tailgate.

the hose on my bagger got a whole punched in it, not a big deal.

one of my trimmer's starter recoil thing broke

my lights on my trailer messed up, and i need them rewired. got pulled over and got a $54 ticket.

NOW my transmission in my truck started slipping, and the shop told me it needed a complete rebuild and a computer. $2150.

What else can go wrong?
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 04-19-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some first day you had. Go ahead and get those mistakes out of the way the first day. Smooth sailing for the rest of the season I hope.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Man this is making me feel soo much better. Did just about the same, scalped a ridge at a new customers house, shot a rock at the house missing the window by 6 inches, whew, then wraped my trimmer line around a pole and pulled it all out, oh and forgot the extra trimmer line at home. That would be so bad but the customer came home to see patches of untrimmed spots and call me right away. Seems i almost forgot how to mow.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh and forgot to say my carburetor bit the dust on my last house in the back yard so I had to drag it around front and muscle it up on my trailer by myself.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

One of our guys got a brand new 52" Grandstand stuck 100 feet into a swamp like wooded area at the base of a hill at one of our new HOA's. Took 7 of the guys to get it out. Same guy got the machine stuck in the woods at another HOA this week too. He wasn't done yet, he weed wacked the bases of about 20 burning bushes and forgot to mow a few small patches around back pouches at another HOA. It's like he hasn't worked for us for the past 2 years. He's on very very thin ice to say the least. Such a frustrating week overall.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Name:  IMAG0283.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  79.1 KBWell about the 1st cutting of the year and sent the helper home and was running over to do a place. A place I have done for 13 years and got stuck. So stuck I had to go get my ATV and help to pull it out. Pictures don't do this justice!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our first day out, first yard. I stripped the gears out in one our trimmers. Went today and bought a stihl fs 90. Pretty happy with it so far.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cheer up guys, its only April. I hate when I get that call from a crew. "Were stuck boss". Of course they are usually as far from me as possible too. I carry a pole driver, come a long and snatch straps to hopefully reach the truck winch. Always seems to be a total day ruiner.

Zack you win with the tranny. They cost way too much to fix and don't last as long as they used to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2013, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This has not been a good start up week. I had mower running just fine at home and showed up first lawn and mower would not even try to start. Went home and came back and mowed with backup mower. I started to trim and trimmer would not start. I had a backup and completed. Just needed my handheld blower and when trying to start the starter line broke. I used the back pack to finish. While leaving my trailer tire hit the corner of the storm drain and popped a hole. I got 2 blocks away and a tire on my truck had a blow-out. Now I think my power steering is going out on my truck. I thought I did a good job over the winter keeping equipment ready for the spring.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got the vride stuck in the mud first week out this year. Thought I could yank it out with the Viking. .. wrong! Had to pull the truck between tight tree line, over the Jasmine bed that I work hard to keep looking good, too get it out. My fs90 capped out on me and had to buy a new one. The other will probably cost 100 to fix. I think it's just weird when we start off the spring like we've never done this before. Haha.
Posted via Mobile Device