Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desii View Post
I DID have this happen to me, late last year. They drove away with my F450 Crew 4x4 dump, 20' enclosed trailer with two 2012 Lazers; 1-72 and 1-60. Can see it on video, but not enough to know who. To date nothing has turned up...insurance came thru, but that doesn't give me too much peace of mind.
That's a lot of equipment. Did you have tracking GPS on your truck? I use Realtrack GPS to keep tabs on my guys and if the truck were stolen we could at least track it until it end up at the chop shop. The GPS device is hidden up under the dash and just blends in with all the other crap up under there. The wiring is well hidden and also just blends in. For only $18 a month it's crazy to not have tracking GPS on your trucks. There probably a lot of people on this theft section that could have recovered their stuff quickly if they had been more proactive.

If you had a smart phone you could even call the police and tell them exactly where you truck is headed to instead of having to feel like you just got raped and there's not much you can do about it. Don't wait to be a victim be proactive now. I know there are a lot of hole in the wall guys on here with little to no equipment insurance who would be out of business and in dire straits if they lost everything.

If you have a really expensive ZTR, skid steer, or other equipment you can get a tracking unit for that as well. For only about 59 cents a day your really missing the boat if your not using GPS with the cost being so low now.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 07-13-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to leave enclosed trailer wide open and truck open but no more everything closed

locked truck trailer closed but not locked maybe I will start putting the locks on at locations as well I hate thieves !

Lots for sale
http://www.ebay.com/sch/approvedjdm/...&_trksid=p3692

Old 07-13-2013, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk90s13 View Post
I used to leave enclosed trailer wide open and truck open but no more everything closed

locked truck trailer closed but not locked maybe I will start putting the locks on at locations as well I hate thieves !
I have a three man crew so usually someone is always close to the truck. Until a few months ago we had been pretty lax about shutting things up unless we knew we would be in a backyard working.

My crew were all cleaning up a native area behind a house that sat back a ways from the street. They came around the corner to see a guy getting into our trailer. They were a few hundred feet away when they saw the guy and he had already grabbed one two week old $500 blower.

There were able to startle the guys and run him off before it could have been much worse. Three trailer had one more new blower, an older one, four string trimmers, four hedge trimmers, Honda commercial push mower, and a few other easy to grab items.

I'm looking forward to the day when we can have cheap small cameras with decent memory to record inside or outside trailers and vehicles. The day will come in the next ten years or less I'm sure. Just like GPS has gone from an expensive monster on the roof of a vehicle to a tiny cheap item security cameras will follow suite as well.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 08-08-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCountyLawn View Post
Man theives are the worst, I squeezed in a quick 2hr trimming job at a gas station in a high end part of town. So i finish and roll out and got a 1/2 mile and realized i left my hedgers sitting on the ground. When I left there were some mexican pool cleaners sitting at their truck in the parking lot. So I whipped it around and get back and the guys are still there and my hedge trimmer isnt. I can tell by their body language that they had em. So i walk over and ask if they seen who took em. They all look at one guy...lol So they play dumb and look in the back of their truck and there they are.

So they start saying its theirs ...blah blah so I said then call the cops. Right then a cop pulls in and I said "if these are yours then go tell him that I just ripped you off" grabbed them and off I went.
This is old, but man that is SO badass
Old 11-28-2013, 04:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Geez... Got Lucky This Time

Man it's everywhere. The good folks I've worked with called and she was beside herself crying and raging at the same time saying the guys were in a burgerking and came out and the truck was gone and did I have the serial #s for everything. Just shy of $100K disappeared and the crew leader had the truck keys in his pocket ! Now I believe in a Hi-(gher) Power and I've never had to use it until for some reason I looked up in the fish-eye mirror on the Powerstroke and there he was coming around the back of the truck. I had about a second and a half to draw, so by the time he got to the driver side door John Moses Browning was going to dot him between the eyes with a jacketed hollow-point. First time in my life I've ever had to do that and believe me it is an adrenaline rush when your life is on the line. I don't know what would of happened without the pistol but today I'm still driving my truck and he ain't.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

we had some one try to steel one of our trailers a few years ago from our parking lot we found their bumper still attached to the trailer in the morning they took their licence plate though lol