Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Throw and grow overseeding

I purchased my home coming up on three years ago. I've spent the last two summers working my tail off clearing a 10,000sq\ft section of the lot that was up to my eyeballs in blackberry bushes and huge fallen cedar trees. I then brought in 150yds of fill and top soil to level the area.

Finally late last September the weather was perfect for seeding. I raked all the debris, made a few passes with a lawn roller, made a few passes spreading fert, and a few more passes spreading seed. By then I was so exhausted from walking back and forth I skimped on the last step and just made one last pass dragging a rake behind me to bed the seed.

The grass germinated in streaks where the tines from the rake buried the seed. It looks awesome from the street but once you actually walk over the lawn you notice how thin the grass coverage is. I REALLY want to be out there playing on a thick the lawn this summer so I want to spread some more seed.

1) I am hesitant to rent a slit seeder because the only one I can find in my area is a Classen TS-20 and my experience with it wasn't good. Either the cutting blades didn't make contact with the soil or it basically rototilled. It also spread seed horribly uneven. After 6 months of settling plus moles and me walking on the soft soil the area is no longer perfectly flat.

2) I could core aerate but I'm scared that the weather will turn and I'll be left with a lawn in worse shape than it currently is.

I'd like to just go over it with a drop spreader now and if needed do a bigger renovation in the fall. Am I just wasting seed, will anything germinate if I just drop seed? BTW the seed is a mix of Perennial Rye and TTTF.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I rented a slit seeder once and had the same experience with how it dispensed the seed. I just went ahead and used the slit seeder with out any seed and then went back over the area with my seed in a spreader. Good luck......
Old 04-25-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It sound's like you know that planting grass seed in the spring and a "throw and grow" is asking for failure. If you want green this summer then seed with straight rye (which is easy to grow) forget the aerator and plant your TTTF/Rye mix on Sept. 1. Plan your renovation's out so you don't get tired and skimp on the final (and most important) step's. Use top notch seed, the proper seeding rate and i would recommend you use that slit-seeder, it will need to be adjusted, on site, to work right, it's not going to work correctly straight from the rental place. There are a lot of step's to getting a nice looking stand of grass, if you have any question's, just ask. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rolling first doesn't make any sense... you want the ground loose when applying the seed so when you rake it in your seed mixes with the soil, and then if you want to 'roll' for soil contact, do it last...
However, rolling is no where near as valuable as 'settling' the loose soil with a good soaking...

Your lines of grass should fill in soon, otherwise leave it alone for now... it is all new seed and it will not tolerate aerating or slit seeding...
What kind of seed did you plant???
Old 04-28-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't employ wholesale tactics and expect retail results. Meditate on it.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks all for the advice. Yes, I knew the correct answers but they weren't the answers I wanted to hear. I want a thick full lawn now.

I'll give the slit seeder another try in September. Perhaps my experience with the seeder rototilling was due to going over grass that was too young and hadn't established a deep enough root system. I would like to look for a different machine though. I couldn't adjust the seed dropping mechanism to drop an even amount of seed also the vibration of the engine caused it to dump big piles of seed when stopped with the chute closed.

I had the topsoil brought in via slinger truck. It was really fluffy and pretty dry so even after rolling the soil was still plenty soft for seeding. It needed to be compacted and leveled somewhat before seeding. I chose to roll rather than soak it all down and make a muddy mess.

The seed was a mix of 2/3 Barvado Tall Fescue and 1/3 Pinnacle II Perennial Rye by Barenbrug. I researched grass types and seed varieties extensively before purchasing. I am very happy so far with the Barenbrug seed.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My guess is that by Sept. your lawn will be filled in when the clumps, of grass, get full size...

The soaking is only a muddy mess until it dries... soaking does a number of things that rolling can not and as long as you soak it and let it dry before working it you'll be fine... raking out the high/low spot after drying gives you a better finish than rolling...