Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-19-2003, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flex-Deck
Bluesteel - so now you are putting Dixie Chopper in the same catagory as illegal immagrints? At least Dixie Choppers are made in the US of A and they have no factories farmed to other countries.
Now I understand why DC is such a POS.

Thanks for clearing this up.LOL

Hope you guys never get together for a picnic.
I'll bring the pepper spray................
Old 02-19-2003, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Well he is right, your kind is dying off. But I am not talking about your race. I'm talking about ethnocentric kind. Look at The Majority Leader, Trent Lott. Oh, that's right he is not the Majority Leader anymore, is he? Why? Because even the Republicans have read the writing on the wall. "Your kind" is dying off.

Why do you think George Bush wants to give 1 million illegals amnesty, cheap labor yes, but he also know's, that there will soon not be near enough of "your kind" to ever win election. An while I know his and GOP's concern is not genuine and that they are really "your kind" ( wink wink), It is great that they have been forced to the left on social issues like these. Yet he goes to the right on the one's he can still get away with. It's an amazing tightrope walk that I would imagine will get pretty tiring keeping up the facade. I guess that is why good ol' Trent messed up and showed everyone he was "your kind."

If y'all are so concerned about wages and prices being driven down by immigrant labor, for God sakes don't ever shop at Walmart. It's all made by immigrants or imported from the places they come from.

National ID
Limited Temporary Immigrant Labor
Living Wages for All

Things that will work better than crying like scared ol' white farts.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:10 PM
Suspended

Salute Comrade!!! Let the workers of the world unite. As brothers in Lenin, lets all work together to lower the standard. Then maybe, just maybe Osama won't be so mad at us.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The real problem is not the legally of the people here. The real problem is the people that know they are and still hire them.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

JR, the people that hire them are part of the problem, but not the biggest part. Obviously someone in power wants them here.

Blue, why is it you people always try to talk crap about communism even when communism is dead. I think you guys have sorta wore that one thin. I guess I could call you a fascist or Nazi considering you fear monger under guise of patriotism and security. Keep shopping at Walmart, ( I knew you did, saw a post from you that said so ) Your a hypocrite. Those illegals have many more job's making cloths as production workers than they do in this industry.

Interesting how you call me a communist, a private business owner, yet it's you who lives in fear of competition.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:14 AM
Suspended

Quality !!!!!!!

I lost 2 LARGE accounts to the tune of $100,000 last year to foreign labor, and guess what, I got them back this year because of Quality and inability of communication. Alot of them can't speak english. My customers couldn't talk to them and have them understand what he wanted. I feel that the people that hire them have one thing in mind. Get the most out of them for the cheapest price and get rich. I figure that I'll just keep delivering the BEST QUALITY work that I can and it will not return to Haunt me.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with you Ricks. I have heard that from a lot of customers myself. Not to say that there are not Hispanics and others that don't do quality work, but I think the kinda people that everyone seems to worry about are not those types.

Of course blue will say your changing the topic because this is about Terrorisim I guess. But I have to say, working here in Cal it is very frustrating when you see the multitude of cheap labor out there in this industry and how they have drove down prices. I see what the rest of you are able to charge and have to admit I am envious.

But I think that you just have to seek out the people that care about professional service, it makes it harder, its not shooting fish in a barrel anymore, but if it was not immigrants, it would be someone else. You already see folks like ChemLawn, I wonder how long it will be before Walmart or the like starts offering LawnCare for 5 dollars a cut and tries to make small proffit margin on selling extras in the way of materials and having high volume.

For the record, I am not an advocate of open borders and opening up the flood gates, but i think it is even worse when people start throwing around the term illegals without really knowing the situation.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Organix- If you think it's the Goverments that the problem. Here in Chattanooga TYSON Foods in Court over useing them. There going after the CEOs.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The flood of hispanic workers has made thier population the fastest growing segment of the US population. At this time we see them as cheap labor. What my eyes have seen is that they work hard and this life is far better than what they came from. The real challenge to us, will be when our competition will be Hispanic owned . They are learning to speak English so they can take the next step to ownership. Thier kids will be born here and they will hire thier own people. They seem to be a determined community of people who see landscape and labor type jobs as a future for themselves and future generations. Same as any other immigrant worker. We as an industry may be TRAINING our future competition. I know of a man who is Mexican and married a woman here so he could stay. He has a pickup filled with 21" lawnmowers and 6-8 of his cousins at a time. He learned English enough to deal with customers and his crew does a good job. He doesn't hire "gringos".
On the political side I believe both parties would like to attract the future votes the hispanic population will bring as they blend into citizenship that our gov. seems so eager to GIVE away.
What can we do? Stick together and fight a common foe. HAH !! Americans are to busy pointing the finger of blame and bickering amongst themselves. Just like this forum! Lets all Call our reps in Wash. and let them know we want to curb illegal immigration. We are weighing short term profits against an uncertain future.
The luxuary we have as americans is our freedom. We were born to it. Others crave it and are willing to do hard labor to achieve it.
PLEASE KICK THE SOAPBOX OUT FROM UNDER ME!
add a segment to lawnsite where we can give everyone the phone #, address, e-mail etc of thier rep in DC and let them know what we as a group think about our future!
Old 02-20-2003, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffex
He doesn't hire "gringos"
Sounds like a sound business practice to me.