Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Web Site- Lawn Treatment Only

Hello,

Please take a look. This site is strictly for pesticide and fertilization services. Let me know what you think. Mainly if you think it is easy for customers to read, understand what a lawn treatment company does, and simple to initiate contact with the company.

Thanks
http://www.truturfnc.com
Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Harris View Post
Hello,

Please take a look. This site is strictly for pesticide and fertilization services. Let me know what you think. Mainly if you think it is easy for customers to read, understand what a lawn treatment company does, and simple to initiate contact with the company.

Thanks
http://www.truturfnc.com
I'm not a web developer nor an SEO guy by any stretch of the imagination. But from a visual perspective (which is yours customers view point) the blue is hard on the eyes and a bit much. Your pictures look good but is there a way to utilize a structure with your pics?

It's functional and easy to navigate through which is nice.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Let me know what you think. Mainly if you think it is easy for customers to read
No, I actually find it unreadable. People don't (read:won't) read 1349px+ wide sentences and paragraphs and the home page has the look of a large spreadsheet with pockets of information scattered about, having no real defined space. If you open up your favorite newspaper or magazine, you see columns of text, not paragraphs that stretch the entire page.

It looks easy enough to contact you, although the header info in gold doesn't work against the noise of the green grass background. To me, it's everything that leads up to any potential contact that will hurt your lead-gathering.

Here's a shrunken screen cap of how it shows on my screen. Everything after the 1349px mark is off-screen scrolling.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, if I was a client looking online for your services, I would be off to the next search result.\

Besides the non-readable header due to colors, my browser, at 1415px wide, the header goes off the right side of the page and I have to scroll to find out where you are servicing.

The formatting and layout of content of the site, is just (sorry) a mess. Centered text, right justified lists, columns that don't look good... You have images displaying larger than they actually are (and even worse, not proportionally sized)

As far as SEO factors, you have no title (from "Websites 101" class), no meta description, no H1 tag, all things that work towards SEO.

The site doesn't validate, in fact there are issues beyond what I would consider "minor" validation errors: http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...uturfnc.com%2F

Sorry, but the site needs a LOT of work. Sadly, many of the things wrong are things that have been mentioned over and over again on reviews of other people's sites. I highly recommend you spend the time reading those reviews.

Did a search for "lawn treatment" Wilmington north Carolina, you are not in the first 10 pages of results. By that point, most people have already picked a place.

-Greg

PS. I do give you points for having your site in the same data center I have my servers... If you want to get really geek about it, pick the Chicago datacenter here: http://www.dft.com/data-centers/location-information
Old 04-10-2013, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post
As far as SEO factors, you have no title (from "Websites 101" class), no meta description, no H1 tag, all things that work towards SEO.

-Greg
Don't know much about SEO. I don't have the website or company advertising yet, this is just trials. I changed it from to a preset template, hopefully that effects the size. I also did add a title, I think. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Well from the first posts pics it looks like you've done some improvements. I would offer that you should keep ALL text at least 12px. Smaller fonts are too hard for most people to read and the also look suspicious to search engine crawlers (like your just trying to stuff content into the page for them and not for real people). If you must you can use 11px, but I wouldn't go any smaller than that.

Is that form a table? You should look into CSS and advanced HTML. I know you're just a novice, but if you're going to have a website, it will be worth it in the end. HTH
Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok, I took a quick look at your source code and I see it has CSS, although it's a bit messy. I know it's how the template came, it's not a criticism on your part.

I am not a fan of black font. I haven't used plain black for quite some time, it just seems to 2000 Microsoft Frontpagey to me lol.

I think your columns need more space between them, the left column is squashed against the right. Perhaps adjust MARGIN or PADDING-RIGHT. And I think you need to have your content framed in for wider screen viewers. (not using frames, color blocked if tat makes sense)

I know you don't want to spend money on your site more than you have for hosting and the domain, but really, sometimes it's worth it to spend that $65 for a professional template. I have over 15 years experience with coding and I still use templates sometimes. I also find a nice template and then just hard code it from scratch sometimes. Look at it this way, your website is going to be the first time a lot of potential customers are going to see you... you don't get a second chance at a first impression.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Helpers View Post
Ok, I took a quick look at your source code and I see it has CSS, although it's a bit messy. I know it's how the template came, it's not a criticism on your part.

I am not a fan of black font. I haven't used plain black for quite some time, it just seems to 2000 Microsoft Frontpagey to me lol.

I think your columns need more space between them, the left column is squashed against the right. Perhaps adjust MARGIN or PADDING-RIGHT. And I think you need to have your content framed in for wider screen viewers. (not using frames, color blocked if tat makes sense)

I know you don't want to spend money on your site more than you have for hosting and the domain, but really, sometimes it's worth it to spend that $65 for a professional template. I have over 15 years experience with coding and I still use templates sometimes. I also find a nice template and then just hard code it from scratch sometimes. Look at it this way, your website is going to be the first time a lot of potential customers are going to see you... you don't get a second chance at a first impression.
Yeah, I have no idea what I am doing right now. I am not advertising this company yet, so this is just rough draft before I begin advertising, hopefully no customers have seen it yet lol.

Do you have a link where I can learn about coding or hard coding stock templates?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A big improvement from before.

Quote:
Do you have a link where I can learn about coding or hard coding stock templates?
Here is the support section for the site builder you are using. Note, that this is something sold to your hosting provider, so you most likely will not be able to directly contact them for help, you would need to ask your hosting provider.

http://support.rvsitebuilder.com/ind...d_id=2&root=20

Also, here is the section of their forum for working with templates:

http://forums.rvskin.com/index.php?showforum=12

-Greg
Old 04-10-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like you've fixed some things. The pages fit on my screen. Overall it's not too bad. Visually...not too crazy about the colors or the contact form on the front page.

The layout of the services page needs to be fixed. The "other services" is out of place and why is there a different background color for it? It's green and looks like an afterthought. Have a distinct seperation between each of your services. Bold the title of your service. Also left align your service description. If a page is visually cluttered or not laid out well, you will lose peoples attention quick. Something I like to do is shrink down a picture of a webpage or any flyer I desgin and look at the whole thing overall for proper layout. Basically looking at it as a giant thumbnail pic.

Your contact form doesn't have a message body section. Also it is on your first page before people have even read your services. I would remove disease control on down in the right column and replace it with a proper contact form. You want customers to read the services you offer then go directly to your contact form to request a quote. The more info or barriers you put in between the services and the quote form, the more likely you will lose them.

What you listed in the right column is not services, it is educational. Add this info to your blog and go into greater detail. If you want to make it convenient for some one reading your services to read more details, just use anchor text in your services description to link to your blog article. Correctly used, anchor text will also help with SEO. Another option, which I am about to add to my own website, is a FAQ page. With your type of service I think it would be very beneficial because most people don't undertand chemical treatments, herbacides, pests, lawn diseases, etc.

Add a blog about lawn treatment and post articles regularly.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino