Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Wrager thanks for the info! Is there any benefit to cutting it that short early in the season (now essentially)? Or should I raise the mower back up two levels like I normally mow at?

Thanks again -
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

With a rotary on bermuda, you are limited in how short you can actually cut it.

During the spring, I usually just mow it on the lowest setting since it is still trying to come in, and is still thin. Think of it as 'training' the grass. I find it encourages growth keeping it low.

Once it starts to heat up, the grass naturally will get denser. Also, you will be putting out N so it will be plush, thick, and uniform.
At this point, I will usually raise my mower 1-3 notches depending on mower and try to find the sweet spot (lowest setting without making it look like crap and keeping the green)

I can usually keep it on this setting unless something happens during the summer like lack of rain or extreme heat. I might have to raise it .5-1 notch.

This is what I do and found it to work well for my yard when talking about using a rotary.

Keep in mind each mower is different when talking about cutting heights. My neighbor down the street bought a cheapo Troy Bilt and his lowest setting is about what I mow mine at during summer with bad conditions (heat, drought) and he only has 4 notches he can raise. My old Craftsman push has like 10 notches.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

"and try to find the sweet spot (lowest setting without making it look like crap and keeping the green)" Right on there! And as it pertains to mowers (I agree with Will's assertion) I have always used Honda mowers with the mulching blade. I still use it for the perimeter even though I have a 25" Trimmer.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrager View Post
"and try to find the sweet spot (lowest setting without making it look like crap and keeping the green)" Right on there! And as it pertains to mowers (I agree with Will's assertion) I have always used Honda mowers with the mulching blade. I still use it for the perimeter even though I have a 25" Trimmer.
In addition to finding that sweet spot in height (1.5"-2" is what I've found for my customer's lawns), cutting it more often and double cutting will leave it looking better. When it's really dense, you almost have to double cut because cutting it short leaves little forgiveness and a slight 1/4" difference in height will be really visible. Even though mine is growing really slow right now (cold temps we had last week), I'm still reeling it twice a week to keep the growth lateral rather than vertical. I can definitely tell that's working and thickening it up.

Last summer before I had my reel, I was rotary mowing it every other day at 1.5" during the heat of the summer (End of June, July, August). I usually rotary mowed it in the evenings right before dark after I got home from doing customer lawns. I plan on reeling it every other day as well this year.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I need to find a good used reel mower. My front lawn area is about 1100 feet so not huge....what should I expect to pay for a decent reel mower and what should I look for in one? I see a bunch of McClane's on craiglist...usually about $350.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I paid $350 for my Tru-cut back in the fall. It's an older model but it was in great condition. I paid $120 (picked up and delivered) for a relief grind a couple weeks ago. Also bought a new chain for it and a chain cover (was missing when I bought it). The guy who did my relief grind also commented how good of condition it was in for an older machine.

You'll only need a 20". My whole yard is right at 2,000 sq ft and the 20" is just fine.

I hear the Mcclane's are a little harder to maneuver on small lots than the Tru-cuts are due to the roller drive.

Here's my tru cut.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is a nice mower macguver and I second your notion of the Tru Cut over the Mclanes. Pretty big difference in machine and Mclane feels like a toy and some of the models are underpowered.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mclanes are garbage....put one next to a trucut and you wort look back. But...if it is only for your yard it will work but i would still look for a used trucut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM_Kona_Brian View Post
I need to find a good used reel mower. My front lawn area is about 1100 feet so not huge....what should I expect to pay for a decent reel mower and what should I look for in one? I see a bunch of McClane's on craiglist...usually about $350.
That is fairly small. I have used manual (no engine) reel mowers on mine (Brill and Mascot). In fact, I have a lightly used Mascot I'll sell you for $150. I even back lapped it this spring, so its nice and sharp.
http://www.reelmowersetc.com/product.../45-01931.html

Here's my trimmer I bought from a member here.

You can see the Mascot in the corner of the pic.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrager View Post
That is fairly small. I have used manual (no engine) reel mowers on mine (Brill and Mascot). In fact, I have a lightly used Mascot I'll sell you for $150. I even back lapped it this spring, so its nice and sharp.
http://www.reelmowersetc.com/product.../45-01931.html

Here's my trimmer I bought from a member here.

You can see the Mascot in the corner of the pic.
Did you buy that one from Chris? Did he get banned or something? I haven't seen him post on here in a while.