Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2013, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I talked to my lawn treatment guy at length yesterday when he stopped by for my regular service treatment. He said he thinks I have some sort of disease or fungus going on. Could be from all the rain we've been getting in GA. Pic after my most recent cut:

He was a young guy but seemed pretty knowledgeable. He also said he didn't know if treating it this year was worth it but not sure I agree. Ironically enough I'm on a mailing list from a local nursery called Pikes and their newsletter / email that I got this morning:

Anyone familiar with this?

My lawn treatment company has a treatment service for turf grass diseases but I wonder if I cold self treat for much less.....results are my main concern...

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.......
Old 08-24-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another homeowner treating his lawn asking for help on this forum was advised to rotate his fungicides. He switches between 3 products. Never applying the same one twice in a row. i see bermuda that is getting too much water, not enough sun, and has gotten leggy because of that. What I tell my treatment customers is that bermuda will look bad no matter what I spray on the lawn if it is constantly raining. Bermuda is not a water plant.

Hard to tell if you have disease. I would have to see close up photos of the grass taken from the margins of the brown and green areas. I am looking for spotting on the stems and leaves on the grass plants. What was your fertilizer program to date?

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-24-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need to see some up close shots but it Looks like the same leaf spot fungus I'm dealing with. This summer has been the rainiest summer on record. Nothing but cloudy, rainy, not super hot, and humid every day. Perfect environment for fungus.

Hopefully since it's suppose to be sunny for most of the week that might help a bit. Your lawn guy is pretty good with his advice. I don't think it will be worth it this year. We only have about 7-8 weeks left before the bermuda goes dormant. Not to mention the growth will be slowing down as the nights get cooler. By the time you go through a few rotations of fungicide, the bermuda won't be growing vigorously enough to "grow out" of the damage and look good again.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys....the main thought about treating right away was not knowing If the problem would eventually go away on its own or fester and get worse even through the dormant months without some kind of treatment....definitely not worried about correcting it overnight......Moreso just don't want it hanging around til next year.....agree with Mac - I think the rain (more rain this year than 2011 & 2012 combined) has just been hard on the turf. I'm constantly seeing little white mushrooms which I'm also assuming is from the constant rain -
Old 08-25-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM_Kona_Brian View Post
Thanks guys....the main thought about treating right away was not knowing If the problem would eventually go away on its own or fester and get worse even through the dormant months without some kind of treatment....definitely not worried about correcting it overnight......Moreso just don't want it hanging around til next year.....agree with Mac - I think the rain (more rain this year than 2011 & 2012 combined) has just been hard on the turf. I'm constantly seeing little white mushrooms which I'm also assuming is from the constant rain -
You could do a preventative app next year if the conditions are still favorable. Who knows what next year's weather will bring.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Spring is here and temps have been up here in GA. I switched treatment companies and have seen a real improvement since last year. I've started cutting with my reel mower on the highest setting and it looks halfway decent. I did burn again this year and have seen a little poa annual but not much. My lawn much better than most lawns in my neighborhood at this point.

Couple questions....

Should I aerate? There is a local guy who does a really thorough job for $35 but since the lawn off to a good start I wasn't sure if core aeration was recommended or not.

Second question....could I cut it one setting lower on my mower or just leave it where it's at?

Thanks in advance -

Old 05-14-2014, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Def cut it shorter..if you scalp so what its bermuda.

I'm a firm believer in Aeration and for $35 I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2014, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How low are you mowing now? 1/2" is not too short for bermuda. If that guy aerates for $35, take it, that is a good price. However, if your treatment company is on the ball, they are supposed to know what your soil chemistry is and addressing it. The right chemical balance minimizes compaction.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738