Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
oh god lets dont start another "peeing in the bushes" discussion!
But it's so much fun and today was a rainout here and I'm bored!

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-20-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

A lot of guys in my area dip and spit in a cup. I am guessing that the cup gets full and they are dumping it in the street instead of a trash can or in a natural area. The tobacco stains pretty much anything it gets poured on.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
Anyone else receive calls over employees dumping something in the street leaving a stained puddle days later? I've always been on the job with helpers to give a nah don't do that nod every so often. It's bad enough making sure all vehicles/equipment aren't leaking any fluids(even drops). Must be our ancestors mentality of throwing everything in the street for disposal.
never been a problem for me.

but as far as I'm concerned the street is off limits for clients to complain about. I do not consider the street in front of there house as part of there property for me to maintain. the gutter yes but that's where it stops.

I mostly drink water and if I need to dump it out cause it got to warm or got some debris in it it usually gets dumped out the driver side window in the street.

on the few emergency situations I've peed in a bottle I empty the bottle promptly in the street or in the grass.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Sounds like its time to drop that customer. When a garbage truck or delivery truck leaves a mark in the street, does he call them? Better yet do those companies even entertain crap like that, i would say no. Some people have nothing better to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was thinking the same thing. I have little tolerance for customers who complain about trivial things. If it is something we legitimately done wrong or messed up on, it will be corrected with no questions asked, but complaining about spots in the road is way overboard IMO.

They say 20% of customers cause 80% of the headaches. It seems like this is indeed true.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 04-20-2013, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I could understand that way of thinking if it was something accidental, but if an employee is intentionally dumping out drinks in the street then that needs to be corrected. Some people like there neighborhood looking nice, not just there yard.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I had the president of a customers Homeowners association call and complain that my truck was leaving a giant stain in front of the customers house. I walked down the street and it was in front of every house for 2 blocks. It was the trash truck. No idea why they thought it was us.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post
I could understand that way of thinking if it was something accidental, but if an employee is intentionally dumping out drinks in the street then that needs to be corrected. Some people like there neighborhood looking nice, not just there yard.
sorry but I could disagree more.

anything PAST the gutter is not my responsibility whatsoever and there will be no action to correct anything I do or don't do just to keep a road/street stain free. this is taking things a little too far.

I would more than likely drop that client. or explain that I'm not responsible for anything past the gutter. but I certainly would not change my habit of emptying cups or bottles in the street if I feel the need to or expect employees to not do this either.

I'm actually one of the few lco's in my neck of the woods who even takes the time to blow the debris from the gutter. most blow everything in the gutter. but that's where it's stops. I'm not gonna let clients dictate what I throw/empty into the street.

we are responsible for paying clients yards. NOT there neighborhood.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy29 View Post

anything PAST the gutter is not my responsibility whatsoever and there will be no action to correct anything I do or don't do just to keep a road/street stain free. this is taking things a little too far.

I would more than likely drop that client. or explain that I'm not responsible for anything past the gutter. but I certainly would not change my habit of emptying cups or bottles in the street if I feel the need to or expect employees to not do this either.

I'm actually one of the few lco's in my neck of the woods who even takes the time to blow the debris from the gutter. most blow everything in the gutter. but that's where it's stops. I'm not gonna let clients dictate what I throw/empty into the street.

I remember thinking exactly like this, back in my late teens/early twenty's. Amazing how life's experience can alter your mind as it does which in effect changes your actions.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't like stains that are left in front of my house on the road. Yes the garbage truck has done it and other people who have parked out there leaking oil. If I saw someone being lazy and dumping stuff leaving a stain, it would be the last time they do work for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy29 View Post

So you would intentionally stain the concrete in front of a clients house? How would you feel if I dump 5 gallons of black conrete stain all in the street in front of your house?

Like I said, accidents happen, and if an employee accidentally spills gas or oil, so be it. BUT, intentionally staining someone's street is just downright idiotic. It's not that hard to hold on to your cup untill you can find somewhere to dispose of it without causing damage to something.