Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-20-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Am I supposed to put a drip pan under my truck to catch the A/C condensate too...someone might think I took a leak or emptied a drink in the road, you know....
Old 04-20-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

no drink will stain asphalt. that is what the street is paved with. are you talking about the driveway which is concrete and white in color??? asphalt is black.

tea, soda, gatorade, water, etc. will not stain black asphalt.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
I remember thinking exactly like this, back in my late teens/early twenty's. Amazing how life's experience can alter your mind as it does which in effect changes your actions.
I'm 31 almost 32. not some teen. I doubt I'm gonna "grow up" any more than I already am.

my thoughts aren't some inexperienced young teenage persons thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post
So you would intentionally stain the concrete in front of a clients house? How would you feel if I dump 5 gallons of black conrete stain all in the street in front of your house?

Like I said, accidents happen, and if an employee accidentally spills gas or oil, so be it. BUT, intentionally staining someone's street is just downright idiotic. It's not that hard to hold on to your cup untill you can find somewhere to dispose of it without causing damage to something.
intentially STAIN concrete no. but if I want or feel the need to empty my drink cup in the street I'm gonna do it. if I ever had employees and they would feel the need or want to empty something into the street go right ahead.

as I said my responsibility for there property stops at the gutter. anything beyond that has nothing to do with my services.

you wanna come poor 5 gallons of whatever on the street in front of my house go right ahead. won't bother me a bit. it'll just add to the stuff I blow across the street into the gutter of the grassy median we have in the middle anyway.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The other thing overlooked is how the homeowner will likely drive thru the mess & carry it up their drive & into the garage. After you do have employees one day & you do get a call like I did then you'll have to explain to your helpers that their paychecks will be less 'cause their route will be shorter since you told that customer to get someone else. They'll likely say you should have just told them about it first & they would have been more considerate. ASPHALT is the roadway.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by adam.neusbaum; 04-21-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

just mix up some bleach and water 50% and spray the stain. it will turn it white again if the area is white already. you never stated what color or what the street is paved with. what is it?

or you could pressure wash it off in less than a minute.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

in the 7 years I've been in business so far I have yet to have a client complain to me about dumping drinks out in the street and then them driving through it and tracking it in there driveway.

this is turning into a ridiculous subject to argue about. if you want to run and operate your business taking into consideration the street in front of your clients properties go right a head. if you don't, don't.

those who do snow removal for there residential clients. do you plow the street in front of there house. doubt it.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hey here's a better idea. just tell your employees to dump their drinks in the grass. unless they are drinking gas or roundup or something it will not leave a stain. also a drink has water in it so it will water the grass some too.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I dump my drink wherever I am. if I'm closest to the grass it gets emptied in the grass. if I'm already in the drivers seat of the truck I just roll my window down and empty it on the road.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lol. You guys are too funny. It's a simple retraining issue. Are you in business to improve your customers curb appeal? You don't think your actions and work habits matter? It's about perception, and how your service is viewed.

The street in front of my clients home is ground zero. The point from which the world views your work. Make of it what you will. Even birds don't **** in the nest. We dump NOTHING in the street, EVER. No, not because it hurts the street. Because it hurts your image. It's sort of why there are no trash trucks running through Disneyland. It ruins the illusion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i dont' even dump my drinks out. i drink all of it until the cup or bottle is empty.