Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

around here if you see a couple guys in a pickup after 5pm... it's a side job (most likely). About the only ones you see during the day (9-5) are the ones doing it for a living. I'm friendly with all of them, but I always have that little bit of a grudge knowing that I'm paying out taxes, insurance, payroll, yadda yadda... and they are just making a quick buck to pocket, so to speak.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It seems to be scrubbier they look, the stinkier the eye we get. All 3 trucks fuel up at same place in the morning and I think its a jealousy thing. I started with used equipment and magnetic signs too, but I was always too busy to worry about somebody else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i've been seeing alot of guys out there. they will have a nice trailer, trimmer on a rack, trimmer line spool on the side of the trailer, and other commercial company looking stuff yet they will have a residential john deere or husqvarna tractor mower on the trailer. i dunno if they are just starting out or if they are just mowing on the side.

1 thing i have noticed and i don't get in my area. noone advertises at all. not a single company other than me. i put an ad in the newspaper and i'm the only one in there. i think everyone and their brother just cuts all the yards of all the people they know in town. it's all word of mouth. there are no signs other than the signs on their trailers and trucks. no fliers put out. nothing.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i've been seeing alot of guys out there. they will have a nice trailer, trimmer on a rack, trimmer line spool on the side of the trailer, and other commercial company looking stuff yet they will have a residential john deere or husqvarna tractor mower on the trailer. i dunno if they are just starting out or if they are just mowing on the side.

1 thing i have noticed and i don't get in my area. noone advertises at all. not a single company other than me. i put an ad in the newspaper and i'm the only one in there. i think everyone and their brother just cuts all the yards of all the people they know in town. it's all word of mouth. there are no signs other than the signs on their trailers and trucks. no fliers put out. nothing.
Sorry, no marketing money. That JD "L" series busted the budget.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

All this time I've been blowing kisses.

Am I doing it wrong?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassin View Post
I know not everyone is like that but sometimes it just rubs me the wrong way...i do pass work around with other people in our field and it can be a huge help. just think if everyone could work together set the going rate, trade lawns to tighten up routes, the only thing that would set someone apart is quality no lowballing company could compete with every true lawn care company working together...i know i will keep dreaming but in a perfect world it would be great!
Nice post right here bassin. It rubs me the wrong way a bit too, cuz I wasn't raised that way. (raised on an Iowa farm by depression-era parents) I waive at all competitors. I also tell my guys to do the same. This is professional courtesy. Not respecting your competitors is bad karma IMO.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Nice post right here bassin. It rubs me the wrong way a bit too, cuz I wasn't raised that way. (raised on an Iowa farm by depression-era parents) I waive at all competitors. I also tell my guys to do the same. This is professional courtesy. Not respecting your competitors is bad karma IMO.
I agree, we are in a fairly tight area and I would rather be friendly with the competition.
Good luck to all this season
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
All this time I've been blowing kisses.

Am I doing it wrong?

only do that to the cute females otherwise it may make the guys feel a bit awkward.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassin View Post
I know not everyone is like that but sometimes it just rubs me the wrong way...i do pass work around with other people in our field and it can be a huge help. just think if everyone could work together set the going rate, trade lawns to tighten up routes, the only thing that would set someone apart is quality no lowballing company could compete with every true lawn care company working together...i know i will keep dreaming but in a perfect world it would be great!
Train the grass to mow itself. Group hug.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I got the stink eye the other day. Don't hate me because my lawns look... better than yours. Don't tick me off because your customers and the entire area will get advertised to relentlessly.
89 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4
5x10 Trailer