Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good of you to ask if he needed help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
When I first started, I drove up to mow a yard and I noticed a guy was mowing with a craftsman a couple houses down with a truck with ramps in front of the house. The sign on the side of his pickup truck said "TJS JUST CUTS". I don't even think he had line trimmers or blowers.

I pull up and mow the yard, the same size as the yard he was cutting, and trimmed, blew and I was already finished, and he was still mowing.

When I was walking up to drop the invoice, I heard a horrible sound from his lawn mower deck, he pushed it over to his truck and started working on it.

I went by and smiled at him and waved and rolled down my window and said to him, "You need any help?" He looked up quick with a look ive never seen before. He had one eye closed and the other one wide open like he was mad. He told me "**** you"

I have never seen him again after that.
That's what make's a professional lawn care service compared to a fly by night!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like to treat everyone (including competitors) with respect, but not all of them behave the same way. I have had equipment stolen, advertising magnets on my truck stolen, false online reviews about my company posted, and current customers telling me stories of how the LCO who cuts down the street berates my business to them.
Still, I don't feel any of the above actions are necessary AT ALL. I believe in my work, my clients believe in me, so that settles it.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's incredibly friendly in these parts. I think everyone waves. And on a hot day if there's a crew next door to where I'm mowing I'll throw them some ice cold Diet Cokes from the cooler. It's amazing the response I get.

But I'm not even a blip on the radar, with only 35 lawns that I do after work, so I'm no threat to the big guys.