Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, grass does germinate between the plugs because the plugs break down and that soil contacts the seed. And remember, I'm slit seeding too.

I try not to seed in the spring due to weed competition and it can be difficult to get the new grass through the summer. Unless the lawn is irrigated there's a pretty good little to none of it will make it throught the summer without dilgent watering efforts by the homeowner. However, I have an account that I'll be seeding in the next week or two because they have a lot of turf damage from tree work done as a result of Hurricane Sandy...skid steer, stump grinder and tree impact. It's the customers wish to get the lawn repaired now, even if it means seeding again in the fall. As it is now it wouldn't even be mowable without repair.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maynard has some good suggestions. Daryl has some solid advice, too. Lots of seed will help compensate for less than ideal conditions, and the dubious promises of the customer to water it daily.

Why seed if there is already grass present? If it is thin--why is it thin? Correct any problems, (such as lack of irrigation). If you add new grass seed--what will happen--the old grass will recover and arise before the seed germinates...there is a good chance you will not change the grass type mixture much. What is the goal...to change grass types (if so, kill the old grass). If it is actually a shade situation...use ground cover...no grass does well in the shade.
Is the old grass disease prone? Do you want to change to a more heat tolerant species (like tall fescue)? Change to a perennial rye that is resistant to gray leaf spot? Resistant to red thread? Do they want top -quality, like a baseball stadium--(then use bluegrass sod).
If there is no irrigation-- a temporary setup with a battery-operated timer and hoses is your best bet.
Take a deposit for when system is returned.
http://www.casa.com/p/melnor-3060-6-...la&cagpspn=pla

What to charge? Cover your time and expenses--and be prepared for potential call backs, and potential crabgrass. Applying the seed and fert is cheap and easy. More seed per square foot is a lot easier than the work of hauling and applying topdressing. I am not sure if topdressing will help seed germination or not--not sure if that is the purpose of topdressing.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 04-22-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: add