Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

New Honda push mower question

Hi all,

I just purchased the Honda 21" HRX217HYA mower from my local Home Depot, and upon un-boxing found grass clippings in box and under deck indicating obvious use of the machine. The packaging appeared fully intact.

Is it common for Honda (or other manufacturers) to test their equipment on actual grass before packaging for customer purchase? Or has this mower been used and returned by a customer?

I'm hesitant to start up and test this $700 machine, even if it's under warranty, if there's something seriously wrong with it (I don't think they'll allow a return at that point). I live a good distance from most repair centers, so my time and mileage for warranty repair is of concern.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

More than likely someone bought it, didn't like it, and returned it saying something like "nothing is wrong with it. I just didn't like it" or whatever, so they put it back on the sales floor to be sold again.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks! That's what I was afraid of. Time to head back to the store to insist on an unused one. Silly big box stores.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Honda push mower question

It's a return for sure.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

just ask for a discounted price since it's been used some. i'm sure it's still in great shape. check the blades and make sure there is no damage or anything.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by takobaka View Post
Hi all,

I just purchased the Honda 21" HRX217HYA mower from my local Home Depot, and upon un-boxing found grass clippings in box and under deck indicating obvious use of the machine. The packaging appeared fully intact.

Is it common for Honda (or other manufacturers) to test their equipment on actual grass before packaging for customer purchase? Or has this mower been used and returned by a customer?

I'm hesitant to start up and test this $700 machine, even if it's under warranty, if there's something seriously wrong with it (I don't think they'll allow a return at that point). I live a good distance from most repair centers, so my time and mileage for warranty repair is of concern.
So you paid full price for a used mower? I hope you called the store manager!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
just ask for a discounted price since it's been used some. i'm sure it's still in great shape. check the blades and make sure there is no damage or anything.
That's a great idea. My fear was that I'd put oil and gas into it and then they wouldn't take it back if there was something seriously wrong with it. An illogical fear since it had already had oil and gas in it. From looking at it, it looked to be in great shape and probably was.

I ended up trading it out for an unused brand new one, and Home Depot did it without question, and the clerk apologized. Props to them for that.

Thank you all for the responses.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
That's a great idea. My fear was that I'd put oil and gas into it and then they wouldn't take it back if there was something seriously wrong with it. An illogical fear since it had already had oil and gas in it. From looking at it, it looked to be in great shape and probably was.

I ended up trading it out for an unused brand new one, and Home Depot did it without question, and the clerk apologized. Props to them for that.

Lowes is the same way. They will swap them without question because they want to live up to a customers expectations. I work at lowes driving a truck full time at least until I'm overloaded with my own place soon. I swapped a riding mower the other day for a customer because the blade had a little surface rust on it. That type crap pisses me off but I don't blame you for exchanging that.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Props to them for that.
Props to them for keeping you quiet, so they can drop this return on the next unsuspecting customer at full price?

When I bought my HRX (about 5 or so years ago), I went to the first HD, and the staff loaded the only one they had onto a lumber cart.
They insisted that the box was dirty, but the mower was new.

As I was walking to the checkout, I saw that the box looked more than just retaped. When I opened it up, and saw that the oil was already put in the engine, and it was clearly filthy inside the box, I took my hands off the cart, turned around, and went to another HD.
The next HD had at least a dozen, and they were all factory fresh.

Had it been offered as an open box item with retail warranty, AND a discount, I'd probably have jumped on it, but if I'm paying for something new, I want something new.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Someone made a mistake because they would never ship a mower with gas in it. Be interesting to see what the store manager says.

Tags
grass clippings , honda , mower , new mower