Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-19-2013, 09:22 PM
takobaka takobaka is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
New Honda push mower question

Hi all,

I just purchased the Honda 21" HRX217HYA mower from my local Home Depot, and upon un-boxing found grass clippings in box and under deck indicating obvious use of the machine. The packaging appeared fully intact.

Is it common for Honda (or other manufacturers) to test their equipment on actual grass before packaging for customer purchase? Or has this mower been used and returned by a customer?

I'm hesitant to start up and test this $700 machine, even if it's under warranty, if there's something seriously wrong with it (I don't think they'll allow a return at that point). I live a good distance from most repair centers, so my time and mileage for warranty repair is of concern.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 PM
zechstoker's Avatar
zechstoker zechstoker is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 975
More than likely someone bought it, didn't like it, and returned it saying something like "nothing is wrong with it. I just didn't like it" or whatever, so they put it back on the sales floor to be sold again.
__________________
Zech Stoker
est. 1983
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-19-2013, 09:31 PM
takobaka takobaka is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks! That's what I was afraid of. Time to head back to the store to insist on an unused one. Silly big box stores.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Jaybrown Jaybrown is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 697
New Honda push mower question

It's a return for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-20-2013, 04:32 PM
weeze's Avatar
weeze weeze is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: weezertonfieldville, AL
Posts: 5,398
just ask for a discounted price since it's been used some. i'm sure it's still in great shape. check the blades and make sure there is no damage or anything.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-20-2013, 11:56 PM
JFGLN's Avatar
JFGLN JFGLN is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Olympia, Washington
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by takobaka View Post
Hi all,

I just purchased the Honda 21" HRX217HYA mower from my local Home Depot, and upon un-boxing found grass clippings in box and under deck indicating obvious use of the machine. The packaging appeared fully intact.

Is it common for Honda (or other manufacturers) to test their equipment on actual grass before packaging for customer purchase? Or has this mower been used and returned by a customer?

I'm hesitant to start up and test this $700 machine, even if it's under warranty, if there's something seriously wrong with it (I don't think they'll allow a return at that point). I live a good distance from most repair centers, so my time and mileage for warranty repair is of concern.
So you paid full price for a used mower? I hope you called the store manager!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-21-2013, 04:00 PM
takobaka takobaka is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
just ask for a discounted price since it's been used some. i'm sure it's still in great shape. check the blades and make sure there is no damage or anything.
That's a great idea. My fear was that I'd put oil and gas into it and then they wouldn't take it back if there was something seriously wrong with it. An illogical fear since it had already had oil and gas in it. From looking at it, it looked to be in great shape and probably was.

I ended up trading it out for an unused brand new one, and Home Depot did it without question, and the clerk apologized. Props to them for that.

Thank you all for the responses.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Southern Lawn Care, LLC Southern Lawn Care, LLC is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by takobaka View Post
That's a great idea. My fear was that I'd put oil and gas into it and then they wouldn't take it back if there was something seriously wrong with it. An illogical fear since it had already had oil and gas in it. From looking at it, it looked to be in great shape and probably was.

I ended up trading it out for an unused brand new one, and Home Depot did it without question, and the clerk apologized. Props to them for that.

Thank you all for the responses.
Lowes is the same way. They will swap them without question because they want to live up to a customers expectations. I work at lowes driving a truck full time at least until I'm overloaded with my own place soon. I swapped a riding mower the other day for a customer because the blade had a little surface rust on it. That type crap pisses me off but I don't blame you for exchanging that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 AM
rlitman rlitman is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by takobaka View Post
Props to them for that.
Props to them for keeping you quiet, so they can drop this return on the next unsuspecting customer at full price?

When I bought my HRX (about 5 or so years ago), I went to the first HD, and the staff loaded the only one they had onto a lumber cart.
They insisted that the box was dirty, but the mower was new.

As I was walking to the checkout, I saw that the box looked more than just retaped. When I opened it up, and saw that the oil was already put in the engine, and it was clearly filthy inside the box, I took my hands off the cart, turned around, and went to another HD.
The next HD had at least a dozen, and they were all factory fresh.

Had it been offered as an open box item with retail warranty, AND a discount, I'd probably have jumped on it, but if I'm paying for something new, I want something new.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-22-2013, 11:19 AM
ztman ztman is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mountain pa
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by takobaka View Post
That's a great idea. My fear was that I'd put oil and gas into it and then they wouldn't take it back if there was something seriously wrong with it. An illogical fear since it had already had oil and gas in it. From looking at it, it looked to be in great shape and probably was.

I ended up trading it out for an unused brand new one, and Home Depot did it without question, and the clerk apologized. Props to them for that.

Thank you all for the responses.
Someone made a mistake because they would never ship a mower with gas in it. Be interesting to see what the store manager says.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
grass clippings , honda , mower , new mower

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:38 AM.

Page generated in 0.07217 seconds with 7 queries