Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Bare spots after winter

Hi all the way from Poland

Spring finally came about 2 weeks ago after a very long and harsh winter. I've done some work in my beloved grass but it's not going as I imagined. There's a problem with some bare spots where the grass seems to be growing out very slowly. Anyway here's what I've done so far: first I rolled the whole yard to flat out some uneven spots, then I scarified the grass but not very hard. After that I raked the whole thing, layed out some spring fertiliser, some grass seeds to overseed a bit and covered most of the grass with a thin layer of sand.

There was a fair amount of water so it's definetly not what I call dry, loads of sunlight also and pretty warm.

Most of the grass is growing fine, I'm even thinking about mowing in a few days, but there are some spots:

The question is: should I do anything 'special' or just give the grass time? Can it still grow out from the roots?

Cheers
Piotr
Old 04-20-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Relax two weeks is still to early for the big spring rush to start. You did everything right. Soil temps need to come up just a bit more . Patience, soon you will be begging for it to slow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately,,, * Spring Fertilizer * typically means CG Preventer, which is root inhibitor that kills the seeds as soon as it germinates AND cripples normal Spring root growth for your existing lawn...

If that is what you had in your 'fertilizer' your grass seed will NOT fill in your bare spots...
Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for helping me out . It got loads better over the last couple of days. I even mowed 4 days ago and I'm thinking on mowing again tommorow or Tuesday. Grass is germinating in the bare spots, so the fert. didnt kill it .