Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2013, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Tons of half price hacks here.

Rates are getting close to mowing rates now days.
Close to mowing rates? Man, no thank you. Not for aerating.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have to work to make it worth while to pay for one, then by all means do it.
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 04-21-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Guys in my area can make decent money with aeration. Price is around $45/6,000 sqft lawn for a typical Ryan or Blubird aeration. I have a Plugr 855 that I absolutely love. I charge $60 for a standard cookie cutter house (5-7,000sgft) I did 103 last fall without even trying to market. A nice little money maker between fert applications.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Close to mowing rates? Man, no thank you. Not for aerating.
I don't do them that cheap but many here do. $29.95 upto 8k sq ft.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
I don't do them that cheap but many here do. $29.95 upto 8k sq ft.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I can easily get $65 for 8k sq ft. I feel for you man...stay true to your prices and stick to your guns.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have been renting for the past 2 years and it is a very good money maker. I did alot of aeration for people who I didnt even mow. People would come down the street and ask me to do theirs afterwards. Only 37 regular lawn maint, did 64 aerations last fall

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 04-21-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it depends on the area you live in, i know around me, if i advertise for it i'll be able to really make a lot of money do it, so that's why i have decided i'm going to buy the jrco soft hooker aerator, that goes in front of the mower, its 36" wide and does 66,000 sq. ft. at 5mph in one hour, talk about being productive. its around 2400 dollars but i know if i start advertising for it, i can sell that many jobs in a few weeks, and make an extra 2400 the first month i use it.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its a great service to charge for but, shouldnt the end result be the best looking turf for your customer? So if you told your customer, "I think your turf will benefit from aeration but, I do charge." Just doesnt make sense to me. What if your customer declines for financial reasons? Or better yet simply says "Isnt it your job to make sure my turf is in tip top form?" I aerate all my properties every year, for free. If the turf is green and they see that things I include in my service, then they truly do know "the grass is not greenier on the other side." And Im not talking about small residential homes, Im talking about 20 acre commercial properties. For instance, I took over a 16 acre facility and the turf was sub par, within 30 days we had the property looking so good, we picked up the other 6 properties they had. Just my opion is all
Old 04-21-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLawnMan View Post
Its a great service to charge for but, shouldnt the end result be the best looking turf for your customer? So if you told your customer, "I think your turf will benefit from aeration but, I do charge." Just doesnt make sense to me. What if your customer declines for financial reasons? Or better yet simply says "Isnt it your job to make sure my turf is in tip top form?" I aerate all my properties every year, for free. If the turf is green and they see that things I include in my service, then they truly do know "the grass is not greenier on the other side." And Im not talking about small residential homes, Im talking about 20 acre commercial properties. For instance, I took over a 16 acre facility and the turf was sub par, within 30 days we had the property looking so good, we picked up the other 6 properties they had. Just my opion is all
A very valid point. I'm including a free Fall aeration if the client is on board with my program of 5 fert aps and scalp mowing and no irrigation at crazy parts of the day or evening.

My area has loads of crummy looking lawns with a few tepid plugs sitting on top of struggling grass. Clients think, "gotta call someone to power rake or dethtach"... meanwhile they declined the needed Fall fert.

Again people here favor Spring aeration over Fall by at least 5:1

Proof will be in the pudding next year this time. Everyone of my application clients will of needed their lawns mowed 4-5 times by now instead of the normal 1 or 2 that is common.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We favor winter areation because we are slow.