Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-20-2013, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I noticed something very interesting yesterday about my fuel mileage

I took all of the equipment off of my trailer yesterday because I had to go and pick up some 12 foot long items for the house. Normally I get around 13 MPG with the equipment loaded up on the trailer. I figured that since I removed about 1800 pounds, give or take a few pounds, that my mileage would jump up to around 15 to 16 MPG. Boy was I surprised when the mileage actually dropped to 12.5 MPG.

I think that even though the gate is made up of expanded metal, it is still acting like a big old sail and creating a lot of drag. When the mowers are on the trailer, it breaks up the wind and reduces the drag.

I'm going to take the gates off of the trailer today and see if that makes a difference. If my mileage jumps up I'm going to try to make some sort of deflector to try and get the air up and over the equipment and tail gates on the trailer.

The point of all of this is to try to get better gas mileage. Just switching from my 1995 F150 to this 2007 Chevy 1500 resulted in a 30% increase in fuel mileage. The Ford got 10 MPG and the Chevy is getting 13 MPG. I had seriously considered going to a 12 foot trailer with a single axle because of the reduced weight. But if weight is not the problem, then the tailgate must be.

What do you guys think?

Old 04-20-2013, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think your sampling is insufficient.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Mythbusters have already tested this. The conclusion...

Closing the tailgate actually improves fuel efficiency because it creates a type of airflow called a separated bubble within the bed of the truck. As wind rushes over the moving truck, that bubble of slow-moving air deflects it over the raised tailgate. By guiding surrounding air over and across the bed of the truck, that vortex effect prevents added drag.

However, driving with the tailgate open eliminates the bubble effect, pulling the air toward the truck bed and creating more drag rather than deflecting the wind. Some gas-conscious pickup drivers still swear by leaving their tailgates open, but science sides with leaving it up.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-20-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Richard, a number of years ago I had a small Toyota pickup for towing. Had to replace the gate on the trailer so went with one a foot taller with a finer mesh. Results were the truck was half a gear slower at highway speeds. So, yes the mesh gate makes a difference as does the weight of the tandem axle.

You mileage is a good bit better than mine. I have a '03 F150 pulling a 14' tandem axle and get about 10 around town sometimes less. 13 mpg is really pretty good.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A pickup truck bed and a trailer aren't exactly comparable.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would love to get 10 or 12.5 or 13 as of now I only get around 8.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
A pickup truck bed and a trailer aren't exactly comparable.
Yes, they are. It's the exact same concept...only bigger.

He asked if it's the trailer gate that's doing it. It isn't. Science proved it.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's not the exact same thing....does your trailer have a cab? Does your truck have a 4 or 5 foot tall tailgate? Confounding variables!

Last edited by Darryl G; 04-20-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post

Closing the tailgate actually improves fuel efficiency because it creates a type of airflow called a separated bubble within the bed of the truck. As wind rushes over the moving truck, that bubble of slow-moving air deflects it over the raised tailgate. By guiding surrounding air over and across the bed of the truck, that vortex effect prevents added drag.

However, driving with the tailgate open eliminates the bubble effect, pulling the air toward the truck bed and creating more drag rather than deflecting the wind. Some gas-conscious pickup drivers still swear by leaving their tailgates open, but science sides with leaving it up.
You need to read better OP is talking about trailer tailgate not a pickup
Stay on the subject on hand
Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post

The tailgate on a pickup is a whole different scenario. The tailgate on the trailer cannot create a bubble because there are no sides on the trailer to contain the air pressure that creates the "bubble". The tailgate on a truck is also 8 feet behind the cab and lower than the cab. The tailgate on my trailer is 29 feet behind the cab of the truck.

I know exactly what the bubble in the truck bed is. This is the same type of thing that happens with race cars when they draft. But just like with drafting, the closer the object is that is trying to draft, the greater the effect will be.

This is easy to confirm. I'll just take the gates off of the trailer and see if the mileage increases. If it increases then the tailgate is causing drag. If it doesn't increase, then I continue to look for a 6 by 12 trailer.