Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The UltraGauge is tunable. If the actual mileage is different than what the UltraGauge says, you can fine tune it so it reads correctly. You can't do that with the factory programs.

I've been tracking mileage for a very long time the old fashioned way. The UltraGauge in my setup is reading just about perfect.
Tunable TO WHAT? What you think your mileage should be? Even if you adjusted it to the number a long term "old fashioned" calculation gave you there is no guarantee the next one would be the same and certainly 0.5-0.7 is well within the margin of error. There are so many variables that effect gas mileage that it would be impossible to get the accuracy you claim on the fly without a sophisticated PC measurement system with actual flow meters in the fuel lines, accurate temperature measurements and dead on distance travelled. Even then it's going to have to be averaged because it's never going to be repeatable.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
Tunable TO WHAT? What you think your mileage should be? Even if you adjusted it to the number a long term "old fashioned" calculation gave you there is no guarantee the next one would be the same and certainly 0.5-0.7 is well within the margin of error. There are so many variables that effect gas mileage that it would be impossible to get the accuracy you claim on the fly without a sophisticated PC measurement system with actual flow meters in the fuel lines, accurate temperature measurements and dead on distance travelled. Even then it's going to have to be averaged because it's never going to be repeatable.
Okay, it's become obvious you have nothing to contribute here.

You can tune it to what you'd like it be if you like but that's not what I did. I used the average mile per gallon over 300 miles and tuned the UltraGauge to that. So what if there is a small error. The point is that it is obvious that the gate presents a whole lot of drag. Remove the gate, remove the drag.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Richard: One thing about those portable ramps. Ramps can kick out. I have a set that have straps on them so they don't. But this goes back to something I mentioned earlier. Does it make sense to have to deploy ramps for every stop rather than simply dropping a gate. I know it's not particularly time consuming, but if it takes a minute or two more at every stop, is there really a savings. Just trying to help you think this through.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Okay, it's become obvious you have nothing to contribute here.
What I'm trying to get across to your thick head is whatever that thing is telling you should be taken for what it is- a very rough approximation.

As to the gate and drag and all the other advice, yeah, no argument there.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Richard: One thing about those portable ramps. Ramps can kick out. I have a set that have straps on them so they don't. But this goes back to something I mentioned earlier. Does it make sense to have to deploy ramps for every stop rather than simply dropping a gate. I know it's not particularly time consuming, but if it takes a minute or two more at every stop, is there really a savings. Just trying to help you think this through.
I'll give it a try and see what happens. You know what I mean?

Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Richard, a number of years ago I had a small Toyota pickup for towing. Had to replace the gate on the trailer so went with one a foot taller with a finer mesh. Results were the truck was half a gear slower at highway speeds. So, yes the mesh gate makes a difference as does the weight of the tandem axle.

You mileage is a good bit better than mine. I have a '03 F150 pulling a 14' tandem axle and get about 10 around town sometimes less. 13 mpg is really pretty good.
I had the same issue with a sanoma. 4cyl. wiht the gate of a small trailer up, even when empty, i could do no more than 60 mph.

wind resistance is a bigger issue than weight.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Heck even figuring your MPGs longhand is a task. Cuz if you don't top off your tank exactly the same way/amount each time...you'll be off.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-22-2013, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Heck even figuring your MPGs longhand is a task. Cuz if you don't top off your tank exactly the same way/amount each time...you'll be off.
Seriously folks, I'm satisfied with the accuracy of my MPG. When I put the gate on, the mileage goes down and when I take it off, the mileage goes up. You're not here, you don't see what I'm doing, and I've been doing this for 20 years. I think I've had enough results to say that I'm pretty much in the ball park. Geeze.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry RM...just adding to it all. You're right!

Have been amazed with my own unique situations with MPGs, equip in/out of bed, addition of a camper shell, etc...

Yup, aerodynamics is more than rocket science. Or, is it less?
Neener!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Sorry RM...just adding to it all. You're right!

Have been amazed with my own unique situations with MPGs, equip in/out of bed, addition of a camper shell, etc...

Yup, aerodynamics is more than rocket science. Or, is it less?
Neener!
It's not you. I just fail to understand why we're splitting hairs with the MPG. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that if you put a big old hunk of steel up in the air, it's going to create drag. I was just stating that I was surprised that the drag penalty was greater than, what I consider to be, a significant weight.

I did order the ramps and I'll find out for 100% positive whether removing the gates/ramps results in any significant increase in fuel mileage. I do know that over a month and several fillups, that I was getting 12.7 MPG with the gates/ramps on.

Let me say that if I can get better mileage and some of my brothers here at Lawnsite can get better mileage, then it was all worth it. Getting 7,8,9 and 10 MPG was fine when gas was 75 cents a gallon. But if you can do one simple thing and get upwards of 2 MPG for very little cost, doesn't it make sense to do it?

BTW, that set of ramps cost $240 shipped.