Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used a trailer with ramps for two years. What i did was put a fairly lightweight. Chain with a hook and drilled a hole in the trailer floor. Throw the ramp on hook the chain and good to go. Never had any problems with slide outs and not much slower then unhooking the gate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I know for a couple grand you could convert your truck to propane and lower your gas bill by $2.50 a gallon. It would be like making your truck an economy car.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, the trailer gate acts as a sail.
Always.
Even with the wire-mesh floor.
Taking it off makes a measurable and noticeable difference.
Doing so, however, may not be practical.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Can you take a picture and post it here? I'm open to all suggestions as long as it doesn't include replacing the trailer or the truck. Either of those two suggestions is not cost efficient. What sort of pipe hinge did you use?
I'll get some pics today while I'm working. Then post them in the morning while it's raining.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

A tightly drawn tarp might help too.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i think they make the ramps so tall on trailers to keep your speed down. it's like a secret way to control you by the government.

they used to suggest going no faster than 45mph when towing anything. i dunno if that is still a law or not or just a suggestion.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If anybody is interested in buying the Great Day loading ramps be aware that a lot of retailers are listing them as being no longer available. As far as I can tell they are still in production and they are still listed on the Great Day website. http://www.greatdayinc.com/specialty.htm They are Great Day model number LL21643. Mine should be here today and I'll have a few words to say about them. Probably later today or tomorrow.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 4x8 trailer that needs to be replaced.
It has wood stake racks on all 4 sides.

I simply lift off the rear rack slide out wooden ramps with metal ends from under the mowers and unload.

At the end of the day I back my mower onto the ramp until the front tires are off the trailer. Which then allows me to get easy access to hose off the underside of the mower deck. All the grass debri falls onto the road by the curb.

Now when I have looked at the landscape trailers with the mesh gates all I imagine is the mesh gate being in my way to clean and all the debri that does fall down will only get caught up in the mesh gate. Making the gate a pain in the butt to clean.

Being that I was leaning towards the trailers with the full metal sides instead of open or mesh. I was thinking of getting a metal side with a pickup style tail gate. No extra height so better aerodynamics and MPG. Then I would still slide out my wooden ramps. So cleaning up the underside of the mower decks would be easy.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Trailer tailgate pics

Richard; Here's the pics of my tailgate.
http://s243.photobucket.com/user/the...?sort=3&page=1
The pipe hinge didn't come out in the pics. It's two pipes one inside the other. Take the outer pipe and chop it into segments about 8 to 10" long. With the two pipes assembled weld every other segment of the outer pipe to the dovetail section, and the opposite segments to the end sections.
If you have to buy the pipe get black pipe for the outside pipe so you don't have to grind off the galvanizing to weld it.
For smaller diameter pipes for a thinner tailgate the inside "hinge pin" would probably be a steel rod.

The tailgate doesn't have to be cut in the middle, you can have the end section only a foot or two long leaving even less sticking up.

You need little legs on the end section(s) to support the joint when you drive something up on it.

My tailgate has a coil spring assist to help lift the end sections. A leaf spring like they use on horse trailer tailgates would have been better.

You probably wouldn't need a spring assist. My ramps are made of 2" x 3" schedule 40 box beam. A guy drove a fork lift up them the other day to load a skid of fertilizer. They're really heavy ramps. After 10 years the chains pulled the corners out of the end of my trailer. So I had to weld some scabs on the corners to reinforce it. That's the only problems I've had.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Very nice Toro. The hinges are simple but effective. I like the legs. They look to be very heavy duty. I've seen some others that didn't look like they'd hold up but yours look good. If the ramps don't work out then it's off to the welder's shop for me.