Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Don't say that. Iron and other micronutrients are helpful in the overall health of the lawn, including resistance to disease. On those same lawns getting that expensive three way fungicide treatment, I would formulate the fungicide in a liquid fertilizer containing iron, potassium and ammonium. From then on, those lawns would not see any slow release, SCU, PSCU, or urea. If the lawn turns greener from iron applied as a spray, it probably needed it.
I have a thread in Fertilizer from last week, pics show mowed at 3" but it was a couple a days after I mowed so it had turned green.

Yesterday I mowed at 3.75" (Next notch up, would like to see 3.5") and what a difference, it didn't turn yellow after I mowed, like I was cutting to short. I still don't have that deep green TTTF would see but I'm pleased.

I think the iron would help, I went by Lowes a couple days ago to get just 1 bag of ironite and test it but they were out.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 04-23-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fungicide use is a rare event for me now. There are also no severe weed problems in lawns on the program for more than a year. That is because I have total control over irrigation and fertilization. I also have a say on lawn height of cut and what kind of mower is used. There is a reason for me being the soup Nazi. Do things my way, and there is seldom a need for constant spraying.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Do things my way, and there is seldom a need for constant spraying.
I totally agree

Though I'm not in the lawn care business I give advice around my neighborhood now and too many times I give instructions then I see them doing the exact opposite.

This weed and feed fert, I don't agree with it and too high in N but people still use it and should be put down when the grass is wet. Then the guy is out there spreading it at noon when I told him best thing you can do is get up at 6 when the dew is still on the grass.

Then, got rain coming in tonight

Anyhow, so you think the iron would help in the aid of the fungus too; if I understand you correctly?

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 04-24-2013, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can't fix stupid. I have given up trying to. Best that can be done is to mitigate the damage caused by stupid. Be thankful you do not have a father insistent on putting water on the grass in the evening. Can you say dollar spot, brown patch and leaf spot?

Iron and manganese are two supplements I find helpful for disease prevention. I have said many times that I do not "green up" a lawn with nitrogen. That gets done with a sprayed application of iron. Not granular. Most soils have detectable iron in them. However, if the grass were able to utilize it, it would be naturally dark green. These same soils have the property of binding iron such that the grass cannot utilize it. Forget the Ironite, look for a sprayable iron supplement.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Like this?

http://www.southernag.com/docs/labels_msds/chiron.pdf

Have that on hand from the dogwoods that died last year, was told they needed iron. As I applied I noticed the grass around the tree's got green

Then God created Women
Old 04-24-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Like that. Granular iron is hit or miss. Sprayed iron usually works.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Like that. Granular iron is hit or miss. Sprayed iron usually works.
I'll use that when I put the fungicide down next, apply both at once and keep you updated, probably be a month out though before I see results.

Then God created Women
Old 04-24-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sprayed iron also works a lot faster than a month. Try a day at worst.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Sprayed iron also works a lot faster than a month. Try a day at worst.
NICE!!!
Even better

But I won't be putting the Clearys out for at least another week, maybe two I'm watching the weather. Expecting frost tonight so I'm really not concerned about humidity, high temps and fungus being active.

I'm more concerned about my fruit tree's and covering them tonight

Then God created Women
Old 04-24-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Supplying iron over the minimal needed for grass to grow without deficiency symptoms is one way to get green grass without the side effects of high nitrogen levels.