Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Supplying iron over the minimal needed for grass to grow without deficiency symptoms is one way to get green grass without the side effects of high nitrogen levels.
Hey greendoc
Question for yu, I'm looking at the rate per 1,000 to apply the iron.

LAWNS and TURF
Use 1 pint (16 fl. oz.) per 1,000 sq. ft. Apply in a sufficient volume of water to thoroughly wet the foliage and runoff in the
root zone. Hose attached sprayers provide a convenient method to treat lawns.

So for my 4 gallon backpack that's 1/2 gallon which isn't a problem, just wondering now because of the amount and it mixing with the Clearys which is 4 oz/gallon and if they should be sprayed separately or will it mix and work sprayed both at once?

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 04-27-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I forgot, How much area is four gallons covering?

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-27-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I forgot, How much area is four gallons covering?
4,000 Sq FT

So both would be applied 1 gal / 1,000

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 04-27-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What I would do is cut the rate on the iron by half. Cool season grasses like fescue may be sensitive to high rates of iron. Also, one gallon per thousand is a bit low for fungicide/fertilizer applications. 2 gallons is minimum.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
What I would do is cut the rate on the iron by half. Cool season grasses like fescue may be sensitive to high rates of iron. Also, one gallon per thousand is a bit low for fungicide/fertilizer applications. 2 gallons is minimum.
I always look for rain in the forecast within 24 hours of the application, allow the foliage to uptake what fungicide it can then rain wash the rest to the roots.

An old friend on here taught me this trick, he knows who he is

Then God created Women
Old 04-27-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

By the way....you guys aren't buying actual Banner Max and paying through the nostrils are you? I've been using generics for years with awesome results.

All my fungicides, and all my liquid insecticides are Quali-Pro.

Bifen, Imidicloprid, Propiconizole, Myclobutanil, etc
Old 04-27-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Oh and by the way Thanks
Cutting the rate of iron in half is good news, I have enough for the first app now without having to order another gallon.

Then God created Women
Old 04-27-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One more thing, watch your temps at time of application. If it is over 80, you might want to cut the rate to no more than 4 oz per 1000 sq ft. High rates of iron in hot weather will turn grass black, then brown.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
One more thing, watch your temps at time of application. If it is over 80, you might want to cut the rate to no more than 4 oz per 1000 sq ft. High rates of iron in hot weather will turn grass black, then brown.
Thanks for that note too
So, I don't want to do an iron treatment once a month everytime I do the fungus app.

Yea, the liquid iron is only $9 a gallon so if I seen a difference I would have been putting it down in July @ recommended rate 1 pint per gallon.

Then God created Women
Old 04-27-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So the answer is yes. lol