Register free!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
So the answer is yes. lol
No, the answer is no if your post is in response to my comment.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 04-28-2013, 03:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Thanks for that note too
So, I don't want to do an iron treatment once a month everytime I do the fungus app.

Yea, the liquid iron is only $9 a gallon so if I seen a difference I would have been putting it down in July @ recommended rate 1 pint per gallon.
You can do it, just watch your rates. Less in hot weather, more in cool weather. Build up high enough iron levels in the lawn and diseases might be less of a problem.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-28-2013, 04:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
By the way....you guys aren't buying actual Banner Max and paying through the nostrils are you? I've been using generics for years with awesome results.

All my fungicides, and all my liquid insecticides are Quali-Pro.

Bifen, Imidicloprid, Propiconizole, Myclobutanil, etc

Sad to say that most of those AIs are used by golf courses that order by the pallet and have a better chemical budget than a lawn person. So, other than off patent bifenthrin or glyphosate(which I will not touch) I do not see much generics here.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
You can do it, just watch your rates. Less in hot weather, more in cool weather. Build up high enough iron levels in the lawn and diseases might be less of a problem.
Might be this week
I'm looking ahead at these temps combined with the rain and I'm thinking humidity so its getting late enough in the season its time.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Sad to say that most of those AIs are used by golf courses that order by the pallet and have a better chemical budget than a lawn person. So, other than off patent bifenthrin or glyphosate(which I will not touch) I do not see much generics here.
Well it's a different animal for one thing. What I save goes into my pocket. What you spend comes out of the members budget and pockets and they might be interested to know you're spending more than you may need to.

Now you may be getting special agency pricing and certainly more efficient pricing because of quantity, but the same savings would be applied to less expensive products made from the exact same materials.

Not trying to start a beef. Just sayin I get and actually guarantee for hire the use of generic blends and have great success.

You might too.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would love to have generic insecticides and fungicides here, but due to lack of demand, they are not sold. Because I order some Agency priced products like Merit WSP in large quantities, that is actually not bad per dose. But if I were to buy the 4x1.6 oz bag, that would be about twice as much as the 110 pack Mini drum.

Generic glyphosate has failed on me. Brand name RoundUp ProMaxx has always worked for me. BTW, I seldom am applying glyphosate in small garden or parking lot areas, I am doing it for burndown of acreage.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I would love to have generic insecticides and fungicides here, but due to lack of demand, they are not sold. Because I order some Agency priced products like Merit WSP in large quantities, that is actually not bad per dose. But if I were to buy the 4x1.6 oz bag, that would be about twice as much as the 110 pack Mini drum.

Generic glyphosate has failed on me. Brand name RoundUp ProMaxx has always worked for me. BTW, I seldom am applying glyphosate in small garden or parking lot areas, I am doing it for burndown of acreage.

Just out of curiosity, of the 17 weeds in the U.S. that are known resistant to Glyphosate(at least that's what it was), how many do you have in Hawaii? I am told we have 9 of them in Arkansas.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 04-28-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

None that I know of. However, there are tropical vines and weed trees that are inherently resistant. Exclusive use of glyphosate in non crop areas will cause succession of species to inherently resistant weeds. A horrible mess was caused when the DOA restricted 2,4-D, Paraquat, and Diquat. Thankfully, the restrictions on 2,4-D and Diquat have been rescinded. However, RoundUp is PC, the other herbicides are not.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To add, some large grassy weeds are also inherently tolerant of glyphosate as well. What is needed to take those down is a high rate of glyphosate and/or Arsenal or Velpar. I am not spraying crabgrass or orchard grass growing out of sidewalk cracks. This is to take down grass that is 6 ft or taller.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Hey greendoc
Question for yu, I'm looking at the rate per 1,000 to apply the iron.

LAWNS and TURF
Use 1 pint (16 fl. oz.) per 1,000 sq. ft. Apply in a sufficient volume of water to thoroughly wet the foliage and runoff in the
root zone. Hose attached sprayers provide a convenient method to treat lawns.

So for my 4 gallon backpack that's 1/2 gallon which isn't a problem, just wondering now because of the amount and it mixing with the Clearys which is 4 oz/gallon and if they should be sprayed separately or will it mix and work sprayed both at once?
Definitely do a jar test (compatibility test) before you mix these two together in your tank.

A few years ago, a friend of mine mixed some powdered thiophanate-methyl (generic Clearys 3336) and some average liquid chelated iron together in his 200 gallon sprayer. I formed a large mass of sludge! It tooks him a couple weeks and many gallons of ammonia to get it out of his tank.

Check the MSDSs of your products to find the pH. Often, very high pH and very low pH products don't mix well.