Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

SLit seeder Lesco 20 renovator

Hello everyone, first off thanks again or all the advice it is GREATLY appreciated. Just started an aeration business spring 2012 with much success (I think). Looking to expand. Looking at purchasing a used Lesco 20 Renovator slit seeder/ dethatcher to expand my business. My main concern is that the unit will be removing good grass that is already there while I overseed. Am I missing something or is this normal. I have been overseeding with a broadcast spreader after aeration. I am sure the slit seeder will produce more germination then a broadcast spreader with the soil contact improving alot. My main concern is removing good grass. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE ADVICE, IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

www.plugnalawn.com
Old 06-17-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

When overseeding you want to do as much damage to the existing turf stand as possible to stunt and shock it into not being able to out compete your new seeds.
Most lawns reverts over time of 3-4 years into a stand of naturalized weedy grass's that do not exhibit the quailities of the varieties they were originally planted with anyway.
Fertilizer usually hides this by keeping everything mostly uniform green.
If you can let the fertility drop prior to your seeding then use a decent starter fert package at time of overseed.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I own that machine its like $3300 new and is actually made by club cadet for lesco. We use it for repairing bad spotty lawns if the whole lawn needs redoing we will often spread soil and broad cast seed. But for small areas like a few thousand sq ft this machine is awesome. The results are great, you do get to set the depth so you do not need too go max depth when you do not want too. I personally would never use it to dethatch way to expensive to abuse it like that. Also replacing the blades is a pain in the ass and if you were doing heavy use all day you could wear them out in 3-5 days easily and then you get to spend another 2-3 hours on the blades. It's the reason several rental shops I know of stopped renting them out.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Lesco Renovator

Thanks Kelly! Going out when the weather warms up here in Western New York, to use my Lesco Renovator (first time) to slit seed my front lawn. Will be making 2 passes (t) will that be enough for a new renovated lawn? What setting do you use for the depth in the slitting? Would more passes be beneficial or overkill? I have already cut the lawn and sprayed with roundup. Hoping to use this method as an alternative to lawn aeration/overseeding for larger bare areas. Will post some pictures of the ongoing process. Hope everyone has a great 2013.