Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-16-2013, 01:41 AM
brandonppr brandonppr is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: tn
Posts: 55
Anyone else having trouble with scag freedom z missing grass?

My 36" freedom z misses grass very often. Some lawns it cuts perfect other lawns it misses strips or leaves really tall random pieces. It doesn't matter if the blades are new or sharp, it still does it. Is it just the mower or is something wrong? It is very annoying having to cut twice. Even going as slow as possible does not solve the problem.

My 61 Tiger Cub cuts fine on all grass.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-16-2013, 05:21 AM
ohdad34 ohdad34 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NE OH
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdad34 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
My new(20hrs) cheetah did the same thing yesterday. Had to finish-cut with my Turf Tracer. Was kicking myself for not buying a New Exmark.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-16-2013, 08:37 AM
orangemower orangemower is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdad34 View Post
My new(20hrs) cheetah did the same thing yesterday. Had to finish-cut with my Turf Tracer. Was kicking myself for not buying a New Exmark.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you just bought a Scag Cheetah then take it back and have the dealer set up the deck properly. I find it hard to blame a machine for human error. Especially when it's been proven time and time again that it works great. Seriously, I could make my Scag cut horrible if I wanted too. Instead, I spent the time to adjust the deck properly so it does the job it was built and designed to do.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-16-2013, 08:44 AM
GrassGuerilla GrassGuerilla is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Posts: 1,410
When buying a mower over $299, I kind of expect it to be set up properly when I get it. I'd take it back to the dealer and ask him if this is how he plans to earn my future business?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-16-2013, 08:48 AM
orangemower orangemower is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
When buying a mower over $299, I kind of expect it to be set up properly when I get it. I'd take it back to the dealer and ask him if this is how he plans to earn my future business?
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't we all? It boils down to the dealer you're using. Some are good at making the product shine. Some could care less once they sell the mower.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 AM
SRT8's Avatar
SRT8 SRT8 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonppr View Post
My 36" freedom z misses grass very often. Some lawns it cuts perfect other lawns it misses strips or leaves really tall random pieces. It doesn't matter if the blades are new or sharp, it still does it. Is it just the mower or is something wrong? It is very annoying having to cut twice. Even going as slow as possible does not solve the problem.

My 61 Tiger Cub cuts fine on all grass.
I bought a used Freedom Z last year, got a killer deal on it. Don't use it very often but when we do it cuts great. Never had an issue with leaving spots and we have cut long grass with it. Do you bag or mulch? What size engine do you have on yours?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 PM
chipk1's Avatar
chipk1 chipk1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonppr View Post
My 36" freedom z misses grass very often. Some lawns it cuts perfect other lawns it misses strips or leaves really tall random pieces. It doesn't matter if the blades are new or sharp, it still does it. Is it just the mower or is something wrong? It is very annoying having to cut twice. Even going as slow as possible does not solve the problem.

My 61 Tiger Cub cuts fine on all grass.
It's all about the rake angle and sharp blades. Check to be sure you have approx. 1/4" tilt forward on your blades. You can usually tell if the rake angle is off if the mower cuts better in reverse.

Also check your tire pressure. If the pressure in the rear tires are too low or your rear tires are worn it changes your rake angle hence poor cutting.
__________________
God is my pilot!
http://www.chipslawncare.com
http://www.whyineedjesus.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Blade Runners's Avatar
Blade Runners Blade Runners is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Woodlawn, TN
Posts: 913
We run 3 different Scags with V+ and Advantage decks and never had a problem leaving stringers or strips of grass no matter how tall it is.

Alot of people mention 1/4" pitch on the front but the manuals say decks should be level front to rear.
__________________

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-17-2013, 10:09 PM
Blade Runners's Avatar
Blade Runners Blade Runners is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Woodlawn, TN
Posts: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipk1 View Post
It's all about the rake angle and sharp blades. Check to be sure you have approx. 1/4" tilt forward on your blades. You can usually tell if the rake angle is off if the mower cuts better in reverse.

Also check your tire pressure. If the pressure in the rear tires are too low or your rear tires are worn it changes your rake angle hence poor cutting.
Please explain why a 1/4" pitched deck cuts better than a level deck.
__________________

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-18-2013, 05:43 AM
chipk1's Avatar
chipk1 chipk1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
Please explain why a 1/4" pitched deck cuts better than a level deck.
I had stringer problems also at one time with the deck set level on a gravely W/B. It was suggested here that I change setup to a 1/4 forward rake angle on blades and I have never had a problem since. I am not an engineer, I'm just talking from experience.

I also noticed that with a level deck, cutting in reverse or doing a 3 point turn sometimes caused a cut as though blades were dull, but since I've changed, I never had that problem again.

With that angle, cuttings seem to spread further.

It's like a string trimmer, they do better if you slightly angle into the cutting edge.

Works for me, perhaps it may be different on some styles of decks I don't know.
__________________
God is my pilot!
http://www.chipslawncare.com
http://www.whyineedjesus.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:16 PM.

Page generated in 0.07667 seconds with 9 queries