Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2013, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone else having trouble with scag freedom z missing grass?

My 36" freedom z misses grass very often. Some lawns it cuts perfect other lawns it misses strips or leaves really tall random pieces. It doesn't matter if the blades are new or sharp, it still does it. Is it just the mower or is something wrong? It is very annoying having to cut twice. Even going as slow as possible does not solve the problem.

My 61 Tiger Cub cuts fine on all grass.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdad34 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
My new(20hrs) cheetah did the same thing yesterday. Had to finish-cut with my Turf Tracer. Was kicking myself for not buying a New Exmark.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdad34 View Post
My new(20hrs) cheetah did the same thing yesterday. Had to finish-cut with my Turf Tracer. Was kicking myself for not buying a New Exmark.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you just bought a Scag Cheetah then take it back and have the dealer set up the deck properly. I find it hard to blame a machine for human error. Especially when it's been proven time and time again that it works great. Seriously, I could make my Scag cut horrible if I wanted too. Instead, I spent the time to adjust the deck properly so it does the job it was built and designed to do.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When buying a mower over $299, I kind of expect it to be set up properly when I get it. I'd take it back to the dealer and ask him if this is how he plans to earn my future business?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
When buying a mower over $299, I kind of expect it to be set up properly when I get it. I'd take it back to the dealer and ask him if this is how he plans to earn my future business?
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't we all? It boils down to the dealer you're using. Some are good at making the product shine. Some could care less once they sell the mower.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonppr View Post
My 36" freedom z misses grass very often. Some lawns it cuts perfect other lawns it misses strips or leaves really tall random pieces. It doesn't matter if the blades are new or sharp, it still does it. Is it just the mower or is something wrong? It is very annoying having to cut twice. Even going as slow as possible does not solve the problem.

I bought a used Freedom Z last year, got a killer deal on it. Don't use it very often but when we do it cuts great. Never had an issue with leaving spots and we have cut long grass with it. Do you bag or mulch? What size engine do you have on yours?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonppr View Post

It's all about the rake angle and sharp blades. Check to be sure you have approx. 1/4" tilt forward on your blades. You can usually tell if the rake angle is off if the mower cuts better in reverse.

Also check your tire pressure. If the pressure in the rear tires are too low or your rear tires are worn it changes your rake angle hence poor cutting.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We run 3 different Scags with V+ and Advantage decks and never had a problem leaving stringers or strips of grass no matter how tall it is.

Alot of people mention 1/4" pitch on the front but the manuals say decks should be level front to rear.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-17-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipk1 View Post
It's all about the rake angle and sharp blades. Check to be sure you have approx. 1/4" tilt forward on your blades. You can usually tell if the rake angle is off if the mower cuts better in reverse.

Also check your tire pressure. If the pressure in the rear tires are too low or your rear tires are worn it changes your rake angle hence poor cutting.
Please explain why a 1/4" pitched deck cuts better than a level deck.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-18-2013, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
Please explain why a 1/4" pitched deck cuts better than a level deck.
I had stringer problems also at one time with the deck set level on a gravely W/B. It was suggested here that I change setup to a 1/4 forward rake angle on blades and I have never had a problem since. I am not an engineer, I'm just talking from experience.

I also noticed that with a level deck, cutting in reverse or doing a 3 point turn sometimes caused a cut as though blades were dull, but since I've changed, I never had that problem again.

With that angle, cuttings seem to spread further.

It's like a string trimmer, they do better if you slightly angle into the cutting edge.

Works for me, perhaps it may be different on some styles of decks I don't know.