Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if i had all weekly accounts i would probably mulch all the time but 95% of my customers are bi weekly. some yards i mow are 2 1/2 acres so they can't afford to get it cut every week. the only weekly customers i have are small yards like 1/8-1/4 of an acre.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a mulch kit. It's tough if the spring, but love it the rest of the time. I only mow weekly though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I also run a JD with the MOD deck. It's the best of both worlds. Side discharges great wet or dry, and mulches great. I normally run the OEM wavy mulchers for all my cutting. They work excellently for side discharging, but 10 times better than the OEM high lifts for mulching, especially with the modified baffles I made for the underneath.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
Thats why I love my area, having to fumble with an ocdc would probably kill me, atleast until it became second nature like im sure it is for you.
I had one since 1995 and I wont ride a mower with out one.
Yes its second nature.

I see other LCO walking around with blowers cleaning beds of clippings I never have that problem. They are time saver, I can mow along street blowing in and turn around on next pass with chute down and not blow anything into the street . Try that with a mower that doesn't have one , you'll be out with a blower cleaning it up.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

i never really had a problem with the mulch plate(not kit) except for during the spring and only with customers that dont get there yards treated and have a ton of weeds. for the most part i just do weekly accounts but i do have some bi weekly accounts but thats it. i use the plate just to keep from having objects fly out of the deck and spraying beds and not so much to create finer clippings which is all the kit does. or atleast so ive seen.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

We started off mulching with our big mower but now back to side discharge. I agree with others.....mulching will really slow you down, especially if the grass is high and thick.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

FWIW, I put a mulching kit on and have never looked back. Yeah, the cut with the side discharge is cleaner but I had so many customers that asked me to mulch that I pretty much had to. The benefit is that I don't have to think twice when mowing around mulch beds.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" 17hp Exmark Turf Tracer, and I have to say that the mulching feature is GREAT. Yes, I do have to cut slower at times especially when the grass is high, but I can cut grass 12" high and make it look good w/o double cutting. I think the mulching advantages greatly outweigh its drawbacks. One key to controlling excessive lumps of cut grass is to use the regular mulching blades for Exmarks. We used those gator blades at one time, and they produced a mess.

Exmark Turf Tracer hp 48" w/ mulch kit and sulky
Husqvarna 326LX trimmer
Stihl handheld blower
Old 04-27-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I started with a exmark turf tracer mowed once with side discharge and ordered the mulch kit the next day. I have had zero complaints on cut quality from my mulch mowing. This week I bought a 48 Lazer Z and had to mow my route side discharge. It was night and day. Many lawns I had to double cut and blow clippings. Several clients noticed and were not thrilled about the clippings. I have a mulch kit on order and promised them I would mulch next time. Also, side discharge sucks when its a little windy or dusty. I was sucking grass all day! I say Mulch FTW!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2013, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the key to side discharging is knowing which way to turn the mower if the wind is blowing alot. if you do it right you will never get any clippings blowing in your face. you can do reverse Y turns and normal Y turns as well. you just adjust if the wind is blowing hard that day to keep the clippings off of you.