Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So frustrating - DOT

Oh my god this has been so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!

Why is it that my outfit, with new trucks, new trailers, proper registrations, $1000 worth of new chains and binders, etc get pulled over and inspected all the time, but my fly by night competitors who don't even have a business license let alone a truck with a registered CGVWR, pulling a 6000 lb skid steer on a 35 year old rusted out 5000 lb trailer with one yellow ratchet strap holding the machine down, pulling it with a 20 year old half ton truck that is squatting so bad the bumper drags and has half of the fenders constructed out of duct tape and bondo get ignored??????
:ham merhead:
Old 08-07-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

my hope is when I get pulled over its in my home county.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Jim I honestly think they target the guys that are DOT'D . As you know federal motor carrier vehicles fall under more regulations than non DOT'D vehicles therefore increasing there revenue. What was your reason to have your vehicles DOT'D ?
Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dually00-00 View Post
Jim I honestly think they target the guys that are DOT'D . As you know federal motor carrier vehicles fall under more regulations than non DOT'D vehicles therefore increasing there revenue. What was your reason to have your vehicles DOT'D ?
Required in this state for any vehicle with a GVWR over 10K used for commercial purposes.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I can't find any info stating that you need DOT numbers on vehicles over 10000 # on both penndot and fmcsa website. Could you show me where you found that info thanks.

Required in this state for any vehicle with a GVWR over 10K used for commercial purposes.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-08-2013, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I can't find any info stating that you need DOT numbers on vehicles over 10000 # on both penndot and fmcsa website. Could you show me where you found that info thanks.

Required in this state for any vehicle with a GVWR over 10K used for commercial purposes.
[/QUOTE]

Definition of a commercial motor vehicle on FMCSA's website is here:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...aspx?reg=390.5

News article about the law requiring Intrastate carriers to have and display DOT numbers in PA

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...106610103.html

These are the two that I found without searching and making you read the PA code.....
Old 08-08-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok thanks Jim, so what I got out of that is if your not doing interstate commerce or crossing state lines with your vehicles you dont require a DOT# even if your vehicles over the 10001# mark.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I believe it's 18k and over you need DOT numbers. And these fly by nighters get by because DOT drops off enforcement after 3pm. Go out after that and you'll see anything being hauled, especially over weight tri-axles. You play by the rules and get screwed, that's really too bad. I feel the same way you do, and that's why I haven't stepped up to the 1 ton and dual axle trailer like I want. I don't want to deal with the hassle of DOT
Old 08-08-2013, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Ok thanks Jim, so what I got out of that is if your not doing interstate commerce or crossing state lines with your vehicles you dont require a DOT# even if your vehicles over the 10001# mark.
Per FEDERAL law.

STATE law requires it for intrastate commerce as well.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

To Colaguy:
Define "compliant". The meaning of that is being forced to comply by the barrel of a gun and the extreme possibility of theft of your labor if you do not do what you signed up for(dot crap, registration etc..). Sorry. I think I'll pass and be competent in my own business as to not need someone else permission.
You damn right I'm mean. Honesty and truth usually come out that way. I mean since the majority of "americans" want to be lied to, just look at your government. Most people relish in their lies and deceit. They can't get enough.
And what does where I live on the planet have anything to do with my views and morals?

To Armsden&Son:
Yes I am very passionate about doing things the right/logic/common sense way.
It isn't rocket science to be safe.
I chit chat with every contractor I see if I have the time. Is that weird or something? I like to know people, my competitors and where they come from and stand. I cover all my angles. The majority of them always have some comic relief or snide comment to say. I due unto them as they due unto me.
If everyone knows the "DOT" rules, then why don't they follow them? Most of them are common sense and straight up logic. Must be them dang incompetent folks messing it up so bad that the gov has to make a bunch or rules, that if you sign up for their benefits, can slap you with fines and misery. You asked for their permission to use their set of rules. You break them and you pay. It is that simple. Misery loves company.
Anti-american sentiment? It'd be more like anti-people sentiment. The word america doesn't mean jack squat to me. We're all human, or people. No wonder everyone hates everyone else. Gotta have a special name for the rock u live on. Keep everyone different. Rules upon rules for each separate race basically. Each different rock. That form of enslavement is getting old and tired. So yes, I have every "right" to blame the people like the original poster JimMarshal talks about in his first post as incompetent. They didn't apply for the rules/benefit of the DOT. Therefore the DOT is technically not allowed to enforce their gunbarrel/compliance/authority rules onto them. And yes I absolutely agree they are behaving nonsensical, dangerous, stupid and illogical in their business safety practices. What should we do? Shoot them? Make them sign up to their rules by force of a gun? Steal money from them? It is hard living in a society where the majority rule. Your personal opinion really doesn't count. Your vote really doesn't count. No matter how illogical a written statute/law etc is, if the majority rule it so, we're all affected by it. That is not freedom.

Have you seen the statistics of injuries, property destruction and death caused from stuff on the roads? Just yesterday(thursday) we were behind a minivan that swerved in front of us. Lo and behold a chunk of trimmed tree about 3 feet by 5 to 6 inches around flew off a trailer in front of the minivan smashing the front of the minivan and barreling off into our front bumper. Sure as sh!t, it is a local contractor in front of the minivan that had roughly 2k of trimming on a 14 foot trailer with no sides. The minivan and us followed them till we could get off the highway and get them pulled over. Well what do you know, they had 2 motorcycle straps holding down the entire load that was 5 feet tall on the trailer. Small debris flying everywhere. Sticks launching out the back. Competent guys I tell ya.(sarcasm) The question is what do we do to make sure that doesn't happen? Fine them a billion dollars? Stick a gun in their face and jail them? Make them sign papers taking their freedoms away? People don't change. Most could care less about the safety of others. So there is the quagmire. More rules enforced by a gun and monetary damages? Or just get rid of incompetent people? I say eye for an eye.