Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-21-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Advice on Grass Catcher

I have been reading a lot of posts on grass catchers and want to order one this week. I am torn between the steel or aluminum. Pros-The steel ones are easier to fix should they be damaged and are less expensive. The Accelerator grass catcher looks to be quality built and lighter but more expensive. My concern would be with the added weight of the steel grass catcher. The steel catcher weighing in at 30 pounds empty would probably top out at 50 + lbs. or more when full of damp grass clippings. Would the extra weight put too much stress on the deck. I would be adding this to a Sacg with the Velocity deck.

Thanks
Bob
Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a steel for my Deere and it sucked!! The accelerator for my exmark is 1000 times better. Highly recommended

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The XL Accelerator is heavy enough with damp or lush grass in it so I would think a steel one would be a back breaker.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

i just got a standard accelerator with my new gravely. I haven't bagged alot but it does fill completely when bagging so you aren't wasting time with half full catchers. Yes it was expensive but it won't get rusty if you leave it outside or what ever.

GM Trucks
Belmont Trailers
Gravely
Honda
Stihl
GiantVac
Lesco
Ryan
Permagreen
Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I think I will go with the accelerator as well. Blade Runner, you have the XL accelerator. I want the 4.8 and then the leaf attachment for the fall. I went to the accelerator website to find a dealer in my area (Minnesota) and nothing showed up. I will have to call them in the morning for a dealer to contact.
My new mower will be in tomorrow and I want to get everything set up for dethatching and a collection system. Not willing to pay $2500 for the Scag clam collection unit at this time.

Bob
Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice on a grass catcher. I ordered the Jumbo or XL Accelerator grass catcher system this morning. I went this route rather than to go with the standard model with the expansion system.

Bob
Old 04-23-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushbuster View Post
Thanks for the advice on a grass catcher. I ordered the Jumbo or XL Accelerator grass catcher system this morning. I went this route rather than to go with the standard model with the expansion system.

Bob
I don't think that you will be disappointed with the Accelerator catcher. They are very well made, and should last a long time.

You'll be surprised how much grass your mower can pack into these catchers.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushbuster View Post
I think I will go with the accelerator as well. Blade Runner, you have the XL accelerator. I want the 4.8 and then the leaf attachment for the fall. I went to the accelerator website to find a dealer in my area (Minnesota) and nothing showed up. I will have to call them in the morning for a dealer to contact.
My new mower will be in tomorrow and I want to get everything set up for dethatching and a collection system. Not willing to pay $2500 for the Scag clam collection unit at this time.

Bob
I actually have both but have only used the XL. It works very well and packs the grass tight. The Xl itself is pretty light but when its packed full it can get kinda heavy. You will definitely want to look into the dust cover they sell for it or make your own and rivet it on. Leaf cleanups in dry conditions gets very dusty and dust likes to shoot straight out the top of the catcher.

I was also considering the Scag clamshell but wanted to do smaller cleanups first using the accelerator to see how the market was for it.

There is a company called Protero that makes a clamshell system too. I believe it holds more than the Scag but the blower looks huge on it.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 04-24-2013, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

When you install the dust cover does it affect how the system works (packs with leaves)? I saw that option and was wondering if it affected the flow.

Bob
Old 04-24-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I have used a Rack Um for the last few seasons , pretty rugged but a bit heavy , if had to do again , I would get the accelerator bag