Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2000, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been hearing great things about the exmark lazer z.How is the larger Kohler engines holding up compaired o the Kawasaki's.Is there any engine to stay away from?Looking to buy,and I need some help with getting the best combination of engine and deck size,or any problems. Thanks
Old 07-03-2000, 10:05 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Hi Bob, I see you are a new member, Welcome. If you go up towards the top of each page you will see a wide box with words with blue lettering. In the middle, you will see SEARCH, click on that and type in Lazer in the search box and it will bring up 34 discussions. Some are for Blazer, but there are close to 25 of Lazer and one is on Kaw. or Kohler with 17 posts on this one discussion. There are thousands of posts here, so read away. Chances are, most questions have been answered already. From what I've heard, Toro is the same machine with better spindles, so check it all out before buying.<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 07-03-2000, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi, welcome Bob.<br>I run both the Lazers and Toro Z-Masters.<br>To directly answer your qustions:<br>1.) 1999 and newer Kohlers are great. I'd still lean towards Kawasaki, but you don't go wrong with either. The full size Lazer doesn't have an air-cooled Kaw available.<br>2.) No engine to stay away from. Best engines (and most $) would be the 26hp Kohler EFI, 22hp Kaw Liquid and the 23hp Kaw vertical (Lazer HP only) This fall and next year the EFI LIQUID COOLED Kohler 26hp will be out as well as a diesel option. Both are supposed to be at Louisville.<br>3.) I like the 60&quot; decks w/25hp engine combo. Not the &quot;top-of-the-line&quot;, but darn good and a good value.
Old 07-03-2000, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 60&quot; 25 Kohler.<br>Had trouble with the engine at 70 hours. Dealer replace it under warranty. New engine has nearly 700 on it with no problem.<br>I have replace three belts, tires,several blades and the electric clutch. <br>Other than the initial motor problem and the clutch (my fault...turning on blades at full throtle), only normal wear items replaced.<br>I would recommend buying a Lazer. Quaility of cut is great.<br>
Old 07-03-2000, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I purchased the smaller lazerZ HP with the 20hp kohler.it has a 48&quot; deck and an ultra vac system.I love the exmark , it is a blast to ride.300hrs and no trouble yet.<br> The ultra vac is great for wet grass ,no clumps or mess. Nick
Old 07-03-2000, 07:16 PM

I have a lazer 23hp air-cooled kohler. Great machine so far.
Old 07-04-2000, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a Lazer Z EPS with the new 26hp EFI Kohler and a 72&quot; deck. So far it has been a great machine. I have not had any problems with it and would recommend it to anyone buying a new Z. However, I am planning on trading it in next year when the diesels come out. Far my operation the new diesel will fit in so much better since I run diesel trucks, tractors and have 100 gal diesel tank and pump in my truck. Plus off road diesel is $0.99/gal compared to $1.50/gal gas. Over a summer that amounts to a big savings in fuel not mention less waiting in line at the gas pump by having the transfer tank on the truck.<p>Jay
Old 07-04-2000, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Member

We are looking to buy a new lazer. What pricing have any of you seen, is it consistent?
Old 07-04-2000, 05:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Bob & welcome,I did pick up the new 52&quot; Lazer HP this spring w/23-hp Kawasaki on it and I love it!Not many hours on it yet but have had no problems.Sometimes I second guess myself on why I did not get the 60&quot; deck,but I like the idea of adding the UltraVac to it.What ever commercial mower you go with make sure you are happy with your dealer.Service,Parts and maybe a loaner if yours goes down,location.Keep all this in mind when its time to lay down the cash!As far as price,I think I paid just over 7K.Good luck.<p>----------<br>John <br>
Old 07-04-2000, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the lazer hp 52,23 hp kaw. and am having problems with motor and quality of cut. has been to dealer 2 times and same problems, it will go back again. I think the dealer service is the problem.I have contacted exmark & kaw. engine co. They will fix it this time!<p><br>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: mow money<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: mow money