Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-30-2000, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I wear sun glasses and head phones,and acked like i dont see them
Old 06-30-2000, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The sunglasses sounds like a good detterant.
Old 06-30-2000, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone,<p>When dealing with older persons just charge them in advance for the extra time. They will be happy that you have spent the time with them, your mower will be happy that you let it rest and you will be happy because you have not wasted time because you received the going rate. Have a nice evening everyone.<p>Doc Scrub
Old 06-30-2000, 11:49 PM
snow

usually i have music blasting , but my headphones broke. normally when i see the annoying customer start to walk over, i try and aviod them. when i'm using a leaf blower, or trimmer i'll just rev it up a little. if they do talk to me, i just smile, nod my head and walk away.<p>Bryan<p>----------<br><br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;
Old 06-30-2000, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Total time to talk to these customers only amounts to about 30 minutes a week for us, so they really don't throw us off schedule too bad.<p>Maybe this is the benefit of hiring non-english speaking Mexicans
Old 07-01-2000, 03:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I remember the last time this topic was brought up. <br>If I have time I will chat for a minute to answer their question, & then walk towards the truck, or start to fire up the blower again. Customer service sometimes means you have to break down & humor a customer occaisionally. If I had someone who mowed my grass & I wasn't important enuf to have a question answered, I'd be giving them the boot. Alot of my referrals come from people aho know I'll take a sec. to treat them like a person & know that I value their business.<br>And Bryan, just remember it's those annoying customers who keep your bills paid & support you.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 07-01-2000, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just roll my eyes back and say in weird<br>voice &quot;The voices in my head say I must kill<br>again&quot;. Thats sorts them out. <br>Seriously though I very seldom meet my customers,doing mainly commercial.<p>Karl<br>
Old 07-01-2000, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I allow some time each time I drop off my bills for &quot;chatting&quot;. I max this out at 5min and then look down at my phone at the time and say &quot;sorry to cut this short but I have another appointment in 5min. Have a nice day.&quot; <br> On another note generally you now which customers are a problem (how much would it cost to do this-YOu know they are never going to actually commit to any more work)so over time I have learned to either go early (09:00 am) or at a time when they are generally out.<br> Lance<br>
Old 07-01-2000, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

YOu totally missed the whole point of this topic! its the custmers!!! if it werent 4 them we wont be able to work! i always bring<br>A SMILE with me when i mow! and spead some chear into a persons life! they are wonderful peolpe out there who need us to help them but be kind to them spend some qualitly time! they ALL know my life my childern and what im up too. they are also some of my best freinds! they give me adivce!<br>give me stuff they dont use anymore. and they<br>listen and i listen to them! some of my people dont have anyone in there life! can you imagine being all alone! i try to brighten there day with some chatting i bet its the only people to people they get. you<br>some day will be old and i hope some young jerk like you egnoer u! my parents told me to have respect to old peolpe or any one inmatter of fact! treat peeolpe as u do!wanted to be treated. i could go on and on about this! but im wasting my breath!<p>ALL YOU IN HERE ARE ALL WORRIED ABOUT MAKING THE $ AND NOT .....<br>whatever i try my hardest to please my custmers i do extras WITHOUT PAY! (sometimes)<br>i talk and listen<br>i do the best job and ill come back if its not right!(havent been back YET!!!!!)<br> IF YOU DO TALK.............<br>you build a trust<br>you get to know things<br>you get conncetions!<br>you get referals!!!!!<br>u get a good feeling<br>u get time to rest<br>your lawn mower get a rest!!!!!!!<br>ect ect ect ect<p>but there are some who go over board! LOL<br>I DONT lie i tell them the turth!<br>i got another lawn to do<br>or im busy ill stop by on sunday and chat<br>but i alawys spend some time with them at lease 5-10 mins and i hope! you rest on the sabath! ~mark~ godbless
Old 07-01-2000, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree w/ lawnranger if their not home good .but if they are and do come up I try to say hi at least .some just pay and go on thier way. some are old and crocity and dont wanta be bother by a pitty lawnman.I have my faverite costmers they give tips and xmas presents to my kids.