Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2013, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
No need for name calling here. In defense of S&ML, he was being funny. If you have no experience in lighting and you have no wish to do any lighting, then you should do yourself and your client a favour and seek out a local lighting guy to do this work for them. Doing so will introduce you to a complimentary trade and allow you to build a full team of pros going forward. You don't see any lighting guys taking a kick at doing hardscapes, masonry or lawn care do you?

Take James' advice on this just for the sake of getting a good working relationship with a dedicated lighting guy.

I have spent years doing all phases of landscape and hardscape work (and I get plenty more opportunities all of the time from my clients who know this and ask me). However, I have a very good referral relationship with a buddy that does that side of things. He sends me his lighting and I send him the landscaping/ hardscaping. It's good symmetry. Trust me, the lighting guys are often the first ones in on many projects for clients who care about the quality of the end product. They can be a great referral asset to you. Cultivate a relationship and watch it grow.

Often times for landscapers who dabble in lighting, they are missing great referral opportunities for bigger jobs that could pay out big time. Stick to what you know and are good at- "Don't step over dimes to pick up pennies".

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com