Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-22-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Left a cushy job to work outside....

Hi Guys/Gals,

My name is Paul and I own and operate Green P Landscaping.
My dream has always been to work outside and spend as much time as I can doing so. I have spent the past 3 years managing the sales of a huge car dealership and believe that many of the Sales, Employee Management and Marketing techniques are transferable.

but.. I AM A ROOKIE

besides taking care of an acre at the family cottage I have no other experience. I am good with my hands and have always had pride in the way I took care of my property so hopefully that will help.

My Career change has been aided by eight commercial contracts provided to me, I am definitely blessed to hit the ground running... its probably not a full week of work but it will allow me to take my time and learn to manicure everything proper.

I love frequenting message boards and will be here often to seek advice and hope to start returning some advice in the future.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Awesome! I am stoked that I am the first one to reply! Good move getting into the industry.... WARNING.... guys on here will tell you that you made a mistake. They will say "why did you leave a great job with health insurance and security?" Don't listen to them... Life is way too short so you should definitely do what you love and what makes you happy.. You can learn the trade no problem as it sounds that you have some experience and you aren't afraid to get your hands dirty. This forum is absolutely invaluable as a reference and a tool... But take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt. Some people are just haters and want to give bad advice on purpose. For specific knowledge, look up older threads from about the year 2000 up to 2008... This is when the site was rockin with really good info, big companies, and smart men and women. Don't get me wrong there is still all of that on here now but it seems like there is a lot more garbage mixed in now-a-days... Here is your homework... Read Procuts thread- "How to fail in the lawn business 1 and 2" .... And then after that, take a look at ETW's(earth turf and wood) thread in the pictures section and also Pro Turf's thread in the same section. Perfect examples of what not to do and what to do.... Good Luck and Welcome!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck my man. You made a good choice. Enjoy the fresh air!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good for you man! One thing I would suggest is to stick to your numbers...well two, and return peoples phone calls promptly!

Good luck this season.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

@armsden - Wow such good info, I cant even begin to thank you enough for leading me straight to the 'gold' of the message board. Usually a lot of reading has to be done before the 'good' threads are found..... As far as health insurance goes it doesn't really matter we're pretty well covered from health care in Canada and the wife has a cushy job that gives me her benefits as well... lol

@holland and @newguy thanks for the welcome and tips...
Old 04-24-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get your business listed online and with the state. Build a website for your biz and take tons of photos of your work...Good Luck
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
4 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good move! I wish I could do the same. Hopefully one day soon! Take pride in what you do and the rest will follow...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringahding View Post
Get your business listed online and with the state. Build a website for your biz and take tons of photos of your work...Good Luck
I do not own a business, but can say that a professional website goes along way. When looking for companies to conduct business with if their site is lacking and unprofessional, I leave the site pretty quickly. Not that a website shows their work ethics, but to me says a lot with first impression.