Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Need advice on a shrub job

Well hello everyone. ive been a long time lurker of about 7 years. i just started another lawn care business so i made a new name to start fresh. my question is:
When you do a shrub job, do you haul off the clippings or put them by the road for the city to get.

around here, we set things by the street all the time and within a week they are gone. we dont have to call anyone. they just roam around i guess. i have a large overgrown shrub job to do tomorrow. Probably 35' or shrubs about 6' tall. im bringing them back down to 3' and i have to take away enough material to have a 1' gap between the house and the bushes. so im estimating alot of take away. Im kinda new to shrubs because i have only been asked to do minor trimming and shaping. also, with the limited info provided, what would a rough estimate be on something of this caliber? i gave a quote, but it was kind of on the fly. just curious if i way underbid, or if i way overbid. im almost certain i did one of the 2. thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can't really say what the price should be without actually seeing it. Most big bush trimming jobs I've done have taken 2 to 3 hours, and I just price that by my hourly rate.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the post. I quoted him $150. i didnt know exactly how long i was gonna be there but i imagined probably 4 hours atleast. thats based solely off of me trying to invision myself doing the job in 5' sections. i have nothing else to really base it on but he was anxious to get someone out because he is leaving town for a while and just needs it done. i was nervous that i would learn i underbid myself but hearing you say big shrub jobs take a few hours has me thinking im in the ballpark atleast. thanks again.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd imagine you'll be alright then. Just remember to take your time with it. Don't want to rush the job and wack the hell out of them.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

4 hours straight of trimming shrubs? Kill me.

Most people charge $50-$60 an hour for this type of work. So, probably a bit low but not awful at $150.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-23-2013, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need advice on a shrub job

60' of shrubs cutting them down to 3'?? Only 4 hours? Either you have 3 workers with you bagging everything or loading it in your truck, I would think that would be a 6-8 hour job. I would have bid 250.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

no its 35' strip of shrubs. they are about 6" tall. cutting down to 3'. its alot of material removal. and ill be sizing them down so the bushes are about a foot from the house. should i take away or set the clippings by the street?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorLandscapingLLC View Post
no its 35' strip of shrubs. they are about 6" tall. cutting down to 3'. its alot of material removal. and ill be sizing them down so the bushes are about a foot from the house. should i take away or set the clippings by the street?
I would take them away Looks more professional when you haul all away

What species of the shrubs cutting them in half might be hard on them
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Haul the trimming off cause you are removing a bit more than 1/2 of what is there. In my area we don't have curb side pickup for trimmings. But if they do where you are I would bag them so it looks neat and tidy plus it makes you look better to the home owner that you take the extra steps to make there place look great!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorLandscapingLLC View Post
Do you mean a hedge?

30' ft an hour for hedges that are only going to get a few inches cut off.

Taking 3' off of a 6' hedge is going to go down far enough where many if not most branches can be to thick for a standard hedge trimmer to cut. You may need a heavy duty trimmer as the Sthil Rejuvenator trimmer or resort to doing a lot of hand work with a pair of lopers. This sounds as if your 1 hour job can turn into 2 or 3 hours.

No town I know of will pick up piles of yard waste that is just dumped by the curb. It has to be tied or bagged.

I would bag and leave it by the curb.

Always good to point out that you will leave the debri left bagged at the curb to be picked up by the town. Being they are paying the town there is no point for them to pay me to haul stuff away.

This past week I cut down 8 cedar shrub/trees from about 5' to 10'. I was doing bed maintenance that day and did not have my trailer. The lady asked if I could cut down those shrub/trees and also said I know that you normally do not take away debris but my husband said if you cut them to 4' lengths and tie them in bundles the town will take them.

I told her that I'll come back tomorrow with the pickup or trailer and take the trees away to the dump. What I would have to charge you for the time to do the extra cuts and tying them up, and cleaning up the mess from all that extra cutting. It will be easier and cost you less money to just let me take them to the dump.

Went back Friday, cut them down. Charged her $20 extra to haul them to the dump Saturday morning. She was happy to pay the $20 extra instead of more for doing it her way.