Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorLandscapingLLC View Post
Also, i guess this would answer a few other questions as well. My wife is in the Air Force. We have been married 10 years this may, and we are both 28. we have 2 young children. a 5 year old boy and a 3 year old girl. it worked out to my advantage i guess. lol. Since shes in the mil, every time i get a business rolling and get a clientele i have to up and move to another base. This third time, i went to the police academy since my career field/profession is law enforcement, just in a different state. its really competitive where im at and im tired of waiting for hiring freezes to lift and what not so i decided to just do what ive done in the past. Re start my lawn care biz.

before it was always word of mouth jobs on the side apart from my full time LE job. this time, i am a stay at home dad going stir crazy. I went out and bought a 2013 Exmark Lazer Z 52". wife was thrilled I still had a couple stihl power tools but decided to buy a new stihl trimmer, as well as the extended hedge trimmers they have. pretty nice tool if i do say so myself. got a brand new 14' tandem axle trailer and tossed some extreme trimmer racks and backpack blower rack on. I incorporated, applied for insurance under my parameters and boom the business line starts ringing. i dont know how because i have yet to start a marketing campaign but ive had 5 calls in 2 days. it puts some cash in my pocket, gets me out of the house and teaches my children about ambition and motivation. I call the shots like always, and ive got 2 HOA bids ive been asked to submit in the last week. thats me in a nutshell.
I know what you are going threw
My sister was a Captain in the Army My brother in law He tried so many things and did many things Stay home dad but Seem like every 4 years they moved and his business had to start all over
This is for your Wife
Old 04-23-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
I've done lots of broker work over the years. If a bank, or mortgage company is dragging their feet because the bushes or trees are "on the house". Anyone trying to make a commission on the sale will view it as a "crisis situation". ...
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly... The idiot is managing a property that he's allowed to get run down to that extent!?!?! he's is an irresponsible fool...
Last I heard, many markets view the landscape up to 15% of the value of the property... any one who is not savvy to that concept is not likely taking the chump who will come in and hack some bushes seriously,,, not enough to pay anyways...

These types of situations are best avoided, or done quickly and I wouldn't take it seriously what is going to happen to the shrubs... the new owner will rip them out anyways...
Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

much appreciated snyder.

As for the spastic customer. Hes just freaking out because hes finally got a buyer for his short sale and he doesnt want to delay anything because of such a stupid reason. Ive been through the same thing.
this guy doesnt care what it looks like. he just wants it done. hes not living there anymore. hes got a house on the beach now. he was renting it out and the tenants cared more about partying than maintenance. ill hack it up but i dont want my name posted that i did it. i cant afford to turn away customers at this point.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

i dont know what to tell ya small axe. you may be right. i might try to do a decent job given the orders, and still get stiffed. im supposed to be getting the payment on monday. hes having work done to the house then and his family member will have my cash. hes going out of town for 3 weeks on vacation so thats what the situation is for right now. its seems dicey i know. i should have maybe structured it a bit different but this is just the way the chips fell. he was in a hurry to find someone and leave the neighborhood because it was getting late in the day, and i was crunched for time as well cutting it so close to picking up my child from school. we agreed and went on our way. lets hope that all ends well and ill learn a few things from this job.

-establish whats to be done with clippings
-charge a little more for my time
-have a little more solid plan for getting paid
-dont estimate and run. take my time and make sure theres plenty of time for questions and concerns.

got it. if i dont get paid, ill consider it a paid lesson learned.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorLandscapingLLC View Post
i dont know what to tell ya small axe. you may be right. i might try to do a decent job given the orders, and still get stiffed. im supposed to be getting the payment on monday. hes having work done to the house then and his family member will have my cash. hes going out of town for 3 weeks on vacation so thats what the situation is for right now. its seems dicey i know. i should have maybe structured it a bit different but this is just the way the chips fell. he was in a hurry to find someone and leave the neighborhood because it was getting late in the day, and i was crunched for time as well cutting it so close to picking up my child from school. we agreed and went on our way. lets hope that all ends well and ill learn a few things from this job.

-establish whats to be done with clippings
-charge a little more for my time
-have a little more solid plan for getting paid
-dont estimate and run. take my time and make sure theres plenty of time for questions and concerns.

got it. if i dont get paid, ill consider it a paid lesson learned.
Sounds like you have a decent handle, and a good attitude. Good luck. Hope it goes well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Sounds like you have a decent handle, and a good attitude. Good luck. Hope it goes well.
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks for the kind words. Im confident all will go alright. it will be interesting but after yall have given me suggestions to think about, it will go a little differently next time around. thats for sure.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We are all wishing you the best of course...

Did you ever find out what kind of shrub it is and was there any noticeable buds towards the interior of the plant once the tips were cut away???
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
We are all wishing you the best of course...

Did you ever find out what kind of shrub it is and was there any noticeable buds towards the interior of the plant once the tips were cut away???
Never found out but i have some before and after pics just for reference. Nothing up close but someone may be able to decipher the species.

also, I DID get paid. today. Instead of waiting for the relative to pay monday, i caught the customer before he left for his vacation abroad and met with him to receive payment. all the talk got me a little concerned but all is well now. we finished the job this AM and got paid just after. im happy how it turned out. thanks for the help as well. ill post those before and after pics up.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

here is the before and after. I consider it a pretty horrible job in the sense of pride. however, I did exactly what the customer requested and paid for.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh ya,,, they'll live... you did a nice job... The only thing I can recognize are the arborvitaes... to far north for boxwoods...