Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone used Weed Pro from Southern Ag

I decided to try Weed Pro this year instead of the more expensive brand name round-up from the box store which is twice as expensive.

Ok 2.5 Oz per gallon

4 gallon backpack sprayer that's 10 oz right?

What am I missing
I sprayed an area last Sunday for my next door neighbor in preparation for a preparing a garden for her and uhhhh guys, looks like I put liquid fertilizer on it

Its now going on Wednesday I see no yellowing, welting and looks weed green.

41% Gly

http://www.southernag.com/docs/labels_msds/Weedpro.pdf

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 04-23-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

TEMPS??

Lower temps= slower results of weed control...any weed control...even GLY. I was using quite a bit of Glyphosate until about 3 weeks ago. It was taking 3-4 weeks for complete killing of weeds. It would accelerate between cold snaps.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
TEMPS??

Lower temps= slower results of weed control...any weed control...even GLY. I was using quite a bit of Glyphosate until about 3 weeks ago. It was taking 3-4 weeks for complete killing of weeds. It would accelerate between cold snaps.
I was thinking the same thing, but the spot is in the sun all day, been clear and sunny and in the mid 70's since I sprayed.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 04-24-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kirk,
glyphosate being a enzyme inhibiting herbicide, rather than a cellular or chlorophyll inhibitor, it will take about 3 weeks with cooler temps. I have blanket sprayed dormant bermuda's with gly kicked with simazine or barricade. It takes a while unless you start getting into the 80's on up!! We have experienced sudden drops in temperature's here the last couple weeks. Started in the 80's-then up to late 80's-storms came through and now back down to 50's.
I know the customer doesn't understand but assure them that what you sprayed will be controlled and that another round application to get what else pops up due to the temperature fluctuations. Being that this is a garden...........one shouldn't use anything else but a good ole tiller and rake for the weeds.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Kirk,
glyphosate being a enzyme inhibiting herbicide, rather than a cellular or chlorophyll inhibitor, it will take about 3 weeks with cooler temps. I have blanket sprayed dormant bermuda's with gly kicked with simazine or barricade. It takes a while unless you start getting into the 80's on up!! We have experienced sudden drops in temperature's here the last couple weeks. Started in the 80's-then up to late 80's-storms came through and now back down to 50's.
I know the customer doesn't understand but assure them that what you sprayed will be controlled and that another round application to get what else pops up due to the temperature fluctuations. Being that this is a garden...........one shouldn't use anything else but a good ole tiller and rake for the weeds.
Ok let me run this by you
Would I'd been better off using round-up in a situation like this where it was sunny and mid 70's and save the Weed Pro for later in the summer?

Thanks man

Then God created Women
Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

2.5 ounces per gallon. Did you say it was 41 percent glyphosphate?
How many sqft did you cover with that gallon?
Did you use the minimum rate?
Be patient--takes about a week sometimes.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Ok let me run this by you
Would I'd been better off using round-up in a situation like this where it was sunny and mid 70's and save the Weed Pro for later in the summer?

Thanks man

Same ingredient same results. Quick pro will show effects with in 1 to 3 days but that is due to diquat in it.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
2.5 ounces per gallon. Did you say it was 41 percent glyphosphate?
How many sqft did you cover with that gallon?
Did you use the minimum rate?
Be patient--takes about a week sometimes.
I only did a small 8X10 spot for the neighbor and didn't measure how much product it uses, if I had to guess I'd say I used half gallon of the 4 I mixed up but I put it on thick due to the hard to kill type weeds.

Label rate
http://www.southernag.com/docs/labels_msds/Weedpro.pdf

Then God created Women
Old 04-27-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kik,
There has been a shortage of Ranger Pro and a few other brands of gly! I have switcher to Credit!, another off brand!
Glyphosate is what it is and is the same in A.I. You either get it in 41% and higher depending on the supplier. But the fact is......it is all the same in a.i. but not in surfactants added in. I use the 80/20 in addition to what junk the container of gly comes with. I am tired of return sprays because of what isn't in the off brand formulations. I will add a pint of my surfactant to 100 gallons to add an extra boost.
I don't think you need to use the cheap stuff first and then the expensive stuff last. It doesn't matter. I haven't used Roundup brand glyphosate in years. It all works but some may be slower than others.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Kik,
There has been a shortage of Ranger Pro and a few other brands of gly! I have switcher to Credit!, another off brand!
Glyphosate is what it is and is the same in A.I. You either get it in 41% and higher depending on the supplier. But the fact is......it is all the same in a.i. but not in surfactants added in. I use the 80/20 in addition to what junk the container of gly comes with. I am tired of return sprays because of what isn't in the off brand formulations. I will add a pint of my surfactant to 100 gallons to add an extra boost.
I don't think you need to use the cheap stuff first and then the expensive stuff last. It doesn't matter. I haven't used Roundup brand glyphosate in years. It all works but some may be slower than others.
I didn't add a surfactant but I do have something called LI700 is that correct, forget the wording and the bottle's outside. I added a sticker.

We have some 80 degree temps coming up this week, I should see something by Wednesday if not I'll treat it again. I'd like to get the area tilled under and soft dirt for the lady before Mothers day so she can start planting.

Good area for her too, full sun for a garden from 8 AM till 6 PM when the sun goes down below the tree line to the west. She's been putting her garden down on the other side of her property and I bet it don't get 4 hours of sun and the rest of the time is shade.

Then God created Women