Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-21-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sending new guy out on a route

It's normally me and 1 helper. I've made the move and added a second truck so that he can go do so,e ,owing while I'm out doing lawn applications or other business.

What's the best route to ease him in? Give him a daily route and instructions or maybe work with him part of the day... Maybe til lunch ... Then send him out alone for an afternoon route?

Ay tips or lessons you've learned? He would work solo right now but if adding a second guy is not out of the question.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What we did at first was I went with the guy on the same route for maybe three weeks. I asked him how comfortable he was with doing the route with one other guy and he still said he was a little shaky on it. I gave him a garmin to use and a list of all the properties with names and addresses in the order they should be cut. Worked out great. Couldn't have asked for a better result to be honest.
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 04-21-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would do as Kidmows suggests, except less time with him at first. 1 week, 2 at the most.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 04-21-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks. He has been with me for about 4-5 weeks and hoping he can become the guy who runs the mowing route or crew. However our routes have not been the exact same like they should.

I thought about creating a master customer list with name, address/description(hot tub in back/rock driveway/etc), cutting height, and special instructions .... Make sure to pick up ms smiths pine cones, push mow the back of the jones, etc

Then I could give him a list of names and send him off. If he does t remember then he could use the GPS

I figure it would be a little slow at first til he figures out where to go but I could keep good records and see what the profitability is.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about creating a master customer list with name, address/description(hot tub in back/rock driveway/etc), cutting height, and special instructions .... Make sure to pick up ms smiths pine cones, push mow the back of the jones, etc

Put all this info in a notebook/binder
Plug the addresses into the garmin
Go with 2 guys if you can
work the route with him for a couple of times across the property's
Old 04-21-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlah View Post

Put all this info in a notebook/binder
Plug the addresses into the garmin
Go with 2 guys if you can
work the route with him for a couple of times across the property's
This is literally exactly what I did. We have a binder for every truck that we put master copies of customer sheets in for every day of the week for the route that that specific truck does. For me, I have gotten so used to the routes that I don't need the Garmin. But for the new guy I gave it to him just in case he couldn't remember a specific property or something. As it turned out he didn't really need the Garmin but I let him keep it in that truck just in case a new property comes up on his route or something.
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidmows View Post
What we did at first was I went with the guy on the same route for maybe three weeks. I asked him how comfortable he was with doing the route with one other guy and he still said he was a little shaky on it. I gave him a garmin to use and a list of all the properties with names and addresses in the order they should be cut. Worked out great. Couldn't have asked for a better result to be honest.
Pretty sound advise from a user name "kid" mows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
I would do as Kidmows suggests, except less time with him at first. 1 week, 2 at the most.
LF, to me that would be creating too much risk for a accident or other set backs. If you only go with him 1 week, that 1 time he's had to learn just one property. Move on to the rest of them and he'll have a very hard time knowing exactly what to do after hitting up 3-6 places or however many he'd have to do. If you're going to "train" a crew leader, you don't do it in a day. They would have to work beside me for weeks and weeks for me to even consider letting them maintain a property without supervision let alone instruct another employee. This is all based on previous experience that he has in the business. Did he do this before for years then sure a week or two is fine but if you're training a new person that doesn't or hasn't lead a crew (one other guy with him in this case) then he'd more then likely need at least 4 weeks if not more for me to feel comfortable letting go of the leash.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys. I'm letting him now more and more while working with me.

The problem I see is he is going too fast and likes to sling it around at the turn. Got to try and cure that problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Quote:
Pretty sound advise from a user name "kid" mows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
LF, to me that would be creating too much risk for a accident or other set backs. If you only go with him 1 week, that 1 time he's had to learn just one property. Move on to the rest of them and he'll have a very hard time knowing exactly what to do after hitting up 3-6 places or however many he'd have to do. If you're going to "train" a crew leader, you don't do it in a day. They would have to work beside me for weeks and weeks for me to even consider letting them maintain a property without supervision let alone instruct another employee. This is all based on previous experience that he has in the business. Did he do this before for years then sure a week or two is fine but if you're training a new person that doesn't or hasn't lead a crew (one other guy with him in this case) then he'd more then likely need at least 4 weeks if not more for me to feel comfortable letting go of the leash.
Started it as kidmows but merged with a larger company called classic cuts lawn service...kidmows just didn't work well once I turned 18
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Started it as kidmows but merged with a larger company called classic cuts lawn service...kidmows just didn't work well once I turned 18
Nice. Hope you do well this year.