Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks Ridin' and Im happy to say the importers here are starting to get involved. They came here earlier this week to check it out and try a few things. Nothings worked yet but I hope to try the high lift blades next week and see how they go. I have my doubts about them working, they may help some but it wont fix the problem. I cant go into any detail yet but at least theyve seen whats going on for themselves.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm happy they are helping you now mick! It sure sucks that it tooks so long and so much beeatching to get them to do it. Good luck on whatever they come up with. I hope it solves the mess so you don't lose money on the machine.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I'm happy they are now helping you mick, but it sure sucks that it tooks so long and so much beeatching to get them to do it. Good luck on whatever they come up with. I hope it solves the mess so you don't lose money on the machine.
Thanks mate and yes, pity its taken so long thats for sure!

I was assured they'll sort it but I think (no, Im sure) its going to take some new engineering and a lot of testing. Grass has slowed right down now so not much to test on. Totally different to summer so what may work now may not at other times of the year.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Holy shiznit! Wouldn't that be just great.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

PLC87 did you end up buying anything yet? Curious to here. If all goes well I'll be demoing a Cheetah this coming Wed. and Hustler is bringing me a 60" HD toward the end of the week. Still would like to try a Lazer X Red but Exmark is finding it hard to justify a demo this far out.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been demoing a 60" VX4 next to my 1200 hr 66" XR7 and it is cutting as clean or cleaner and clipping dispersal in my grasses are better with the VX4 than with my XR7 with the added baffles. It's still not vaporizing them and the clipping dispersal will no doubt become less impressive once the paint is gone from under the deck and things get some wear but as it stands it is doing a slightly better job. I wonder if a turbo baffle at the discharge chute like many other brands have wouldn't be a benefit in terms of discharge spread, clipping size, and distance thrown?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
I've been demoing a 60" VX4 next to my 1200 hr 66" XR7 and it is cutting as clean or cleaner and clipping dispersal in my grasses are better with the VX4 than with my XR7 with the added baffles. It's still not vaporizing them and the clipping dispersal will no doubt become less impressive once the paint is gone from under the deck and things get some wear but as it stands it is doing a slightly better job. I wonder if a turbo baffle at the discharge chute like many other brands have wouldn't be a benefit in terms of discharge spread, clipping size, and distance thrown?
That's what Mickhippy and his importer are working on right now. They've tried at least two versions with no real luck so far. Check out his channel to see the vids-

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...HkqgRFLbcdGSgQ
Old 06-20-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

From what I saw and was told by the LCO running the VX4 the problem is only in thick and wet grass. It cuts great in thin dry grass.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ridin is correct, been working on a TB with the importer (Im waiting on a new one right now) but Im up to my 5th baffle + variants. If this next one doesnt work Im at a loss for how to fix the damned thing.

I cut that vacant block (in the vid) again yesterday, that grass really is super thick and is a great test for the deck. I used 2 HL blades, trim side and centre and a G6 blade on the discharge and while I still got a few clumps it "seemed" to get less. The grass had a lot of moisture in it as well, moist enough if I drove over a pile it would all squish together. I got more spits than clumping on the double cut but that initial cut I got a pretty good even spread. Still got the small balling up I get on wet grass to but still not bad all things considered.

As far as the spits go, I had a good look at it yesterday as well. They come out the middle of the chute, Id guess they build up on a spindle, drop and get hit by a blade but not enough to send it across the front.

MT, if you have a few of those blades laying around, give it a try! I might even try 2 standard blades and a G6 on discharge. I rather not use HL if at all possible.

If I could just get this deck cutting properly I'd be a happy man. It really is a great machine, just this clumping is so frustrating!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Ridin is correct, been working on a TB with the importer (Im waiting on a new one right now) but Im up to my 5th baffle + variants. If this next one doesnt work Im at a loss for how to fix the damned thing.

I cut that vacant block (in the vid) again yesterday, that grass really is super thick and is a great test for the deck. I used 2 HL blades, trim side and centre and a G6 blade on the discharge and while I still got a few clumps it "seemed" to get less. The grass had a lot of moisture in it as well, moist enough if I drove over a pile it would all squish together. I got more spits than clumping on the double cut but that initial cut I got a pretty good even spread. Still got the small balling up I get on wet grass to but still not bad all things considered.

As far as the spits go, I had a good look at it yesterday as well. They come out the middle of the chute, Id guess they build up on a spindle, drop and get hit by a blade but not enough to send it across the front.

MT, if you have a few of those blades laying around, give it a try! I might even try 2 standard blades and a G6 on discharge. I rather not use HL if at all possible.

If I could just get this deck cutting properly I'd be a happy man. It really is a great machine, just this clumping is so frustrating!
Has it been pretty cool up there Mick? would it be about 3 weeks since u last cut that prop, Im just wondering if the re-growth is thinner & confusing the results. As you know that's what Im battling with, I cant be sure whether the thinner grass is reducing the clumps, rather than TBs I've been trying.

As you quoted a while ago, above. (Grass has slowed right down now so not much to test on. Totally different to summer so what may work now may not at other times of the year. )

Just a thought with the "spits" Iv been wondering if these are a result of build up on the "rear/top, inside" of chute, so really a big clump is formed and drops on top of the blade, then recirculating on discharge blade & coming out as a pile of chity poo.