Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I reckon the grass was very similar to what was in the vid, in fact, I cut it quarter inch lower (accidentally) as well and the grass had much more moisture in it this time.
Im not saying its fixed, just that it "may" of helped. Its really hard to tell without swapping blades over half way through. I was on the job so couldnt mess around. No pics etc.

But yeah, as we know its different now to real summer

The spits are another problem to be looked at after sorting the clumps and windrows which are my main concern at the moment. I can see by the amount of cr@p that builds up around or on the discharge side of the spindles somethings going on there. Like the trim side blade throws clipping straight into the middle spindle and so forth. More baffles? God I hope not!

I have thought of a way to close the gap between the front baffle and the blade. If got a few longer bolts (that hold on the baffle) and put some washers (large nuts even) between the deck and baffle. There will be a gap at the top to the baffle though but for testing, I dunno? Something to think about!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I reckon the grass was very similar to what was in the vid, in fact, I cut it quarter inch lower (accidentally) as well and the grass had much more moisture in it this time.
Im not saying its fixed, just that it "may" of helped. Its really hard to tell without swapping blades over half way through. I was on the job so couldnt mess around. No pics etc.

The spits are another problem to be looked at after sorting the clumps and windrows which are my main concern at the moment. I can see by the amount of cr@p that builds up around or on the discharge side of the spindles somethings going on there. Like the trim side blade throws clipping straight into the middle spindle and so forth. More baffles? God I hope not!

I have thought of a way to close the gap between the front baffle and the blade. If got a few longer bolts (that hold on the baffle) and put some washers (large nuts even) between the deck and baffle. There will be a gap at the top to the baffle though but for testing, I dunno? Something to think about!
This last idea was what I was going to post, but you beat me to it! I do believe that having the baffle closer to the blades will make the air stream concentrated more at the front of the deck and chute, and blow on out better so it can't get recirculated around the spindles or hang up on the rear of the chute. Much like a std 7 Iron deck is and does.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder if the old style spindles would help?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
This last idea was what I was going to post, but you beat me to it! I do believe that having the baffle closer to the blades will make the air stream concentrated more at the front of the deck and chute, and blow on out better so it can't get recirculated around the spindles or hang up on the rear of the chute. Much like a std 7 Iron deck is and does.
Thats because we are cleva!!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thats because we are cleva!!
Well, at least you are mate. I'm still tryin' to find the sun.......
Old 06-20-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just took it on a prop that normally leaves clumps every 2 meters, didn't leave any at all & it had 5 weeks growth. Then I found a paddock with long green kikuya, hadn't been cut in maybe 3 months, clumped like an ass *****! Same old clumps as before, same old story. Yipee
Old 06-21-2013, 04:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Its worth trying, creating the space with washers or nuts sounds good, maybe to fill in the gap at the top if you may have some led flashing or alloy flashing you could mould that to a right angle and secure it with the same bolts as the baffle? It wont be a permanent fixture but for testing it should hold together. Another idea maybe some thin plyboard with enough flex to follow the curves.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I have this deck on my 2012 SZ and luckily not having these problems so to speak. Wet grass does seem to stick to this deck more so than my old 7 iron but tried something yesterday that I read here on LS and it did work better for me. I cut 16 wet property's yesterday with the rpm's backed off a little and after finished put the z up on the trailer and cleaned the deck, had very little build up. Much better than with full rpms. I run high lift blades an open shute. These were all nice thick lawns. On vacant lots I use cheap low lift blades and run s fast as the property will let me as not so worried about cut, the low lift seem to help with build up with the speed again open Shute.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing to consider was the older style spindle half of the spindle it self was exposed and rotated and was narrower under the deck so the grass should have a easier time getting out of the deck?

I just wonder if the old setup on spindles may help in this situation, I am changing to the new spindles because the setup is tougher but on paper the old setup could get the grass out better ?