Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Monthly billing question

What is the best day of the month to submit bills and how many days after that should be allowed for them to remit payment?

Or should I break it into bimonthly billing and be alerted to payment problems faster?

How would other billing cycles such as utilities, credit cards, mortgage payments, ect... play into your decision - not your personal bills, but client bills.

I would like to be the first one into their wallet so I have a better chance of getting mine before the other bills roll in. When is the wallet the fattest??
Old 04-05-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bill on the 1st due on the 15th is what we do
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Our Invoices go out on the 30th of the month. Payment due by the 15th or we can suspend service.

2006 Ford F-150
12 Foot Enclosed Trailer
48" Exmark Walkbehind
48" Ransome Walkbehind
22" Honda Commerical Walkbehind

Echo Trimmers and Blowers

Member of
Maryland Nursery and Landscape Association
Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I leave a bill on the door on the last day of the month that I service the house.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Invoice last day of month, due on the 10th. I do have some customers who will pay me the last service of the month if their home.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. I was thinking last day of month and due on 10th and will likely go with that. I suppose I'll need to leave a bill at the house with the cost of stamps what they are.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We either mail or email everything. We are trying to switch everyone over to email because of the cost of paper, ink, stamps and envelopes. But the older people like snail mail
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am having a little problem with this now. I was billing "due upon reciept" and most pay by the next cut.. however i have a few who have let me work for free and i can't get a thing out of them, not even a return phone call. I'm pretty nice too..

I have went to an agreement with 2 payment options. they can do monthly billing if they pay a month up front, or they can pay per cut. No Check, No Mow. I thought this might hurt more than help, but i've still picked up a few... Its nice when the money is there, i know its not a pro way to run things, but as a solo op eliminating having to chase after people for money will help. I'm pretty frustrated right now with people who don't want to pay, It's one thing if theres a quality issue, i'd be understanding, but i have people who just don't want to pay me, and wont' even talk to me after i'd done the work. typical deadbeats. I won't even go after them anymore, i have 300 dollars in bad debts i just gave up on, atleast its not alot of money, and i learned to trust nobody.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bill on the 15th. Due on the 5th.
One off mows, due at TOS. Jobs under 1k for existing clients are billed after service. Over 1k half down half when done.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
I am having a little problem with this now. I was billing "due upon reciept" and most pay by the next cut.. however i have a few who have let me work for free and i can't get a thing out of them, not even a return phone call. I'm pretty nice too..

I have went to an agreement with 2 payment options. they can do monthly billing if they pay a month up front, or they can pay per cut. No Check, No Mow. I thought this might hurt more than help, but i've still picked up a few... Its nice when the money is there, i know its not a pro way to run things, but as a solo op eliminating having to chase after people for money will help. I'm pretty frustrated right now with people who don't want to pay, It's one thing if theres a quality issue, i'd be understanding, but i have people who just don't want to pay me, and wont' even talk to me after i'd done the work. typical deadbeats. I won't even go after them anymore, i have 300 dollars in bad debts i just gave up on, atleast its not alot of money, and i learned to trust nobody.
Why service them to begin with
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device