Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Lightbulb Next "Big Thing"

Lighting professionals,

If you had unlimited funds and were charged with developing the "Next Big Thing" in landscape lighting, what would it be?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

1:"Wireless" power transfer (as in Tesla's pioneering work that saw him killed)
2: Plasma Arc Lamp Technology
3: Open source, wireless, addressable, control technologies (Like those seen in the luxor system, only better)

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 02-24-2013, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input James! Would the "Philips Hue" technology be accepted by the industry? If so, at what price point?
Old 02-24-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think the Philips Hue tech is gimmicky. There are other RGB colour changing LED lamps on the market that are more appropriate for use in outdoor lighting. They have not seen a lot of uptake even though they have been available for many years. Vibrant colours are not all that common in residential outdoor lighting systems.

www.integralighting.com

Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would work on ways to make the lighting system easier and quicker to install. I heard of a system being developed that wouldn't need connectors. You would just run 1 single wire through the landscape (sort of like those invisible fence wires that people install for their dogs) and then at any point you could just install a clip that clips over this wire. No connections are made. No wire stripping needed. The clip somehow transfers energy from the wire it's over to the wire it's connected to, which leads to the fixture. If that technology was perfected and released, that could mean a lot quicker installs.

Then again, if I had unlimited resources, I'd just take that a step further. I'd try to figure out a way to get energy to each of the fixtures without the use of wires. No digging would be amazing. Not sure how you could do that. Solar is a long ways off, as we've all seen. Especially in shady, rainy states like Oregon. But I'd try to think of some way to make that happen. I'd start with the assumption that I heard that my top competitor had already figured out how to do this and was working on a way to bring it to market. Then assuming they've already figured it out, it all of a sudden seems possible. Now you're just trying to figure out how the heck they were able to figure that out! So I'd start there - by just assuming it's possible and is already being done - and then just figuring out how the heck they might have done it. I believe that's how big leaps are made. Someone once said true leaps in technology come when you think to yourself, "Assuming there were no limitations, what could we do?" And then you figure out how to get rid of those limitations.

I don't know..... these are just thoughts off the top of my head. Back to reality now.....

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Smarter transformers. Maybe wifi integrated. We were on a Zwave kick years ago, but that proved to be unreliable. We have a couple clients that went wired automation, but I'm talking real basic wifi in a transformer. Secure link you can access from either the home network or even the internet. Would not be hard and would only add a minimal cost compared to home automation. The challenge I see is electronic functionality in cold weather and signal loss due to interference issues.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:08 AM
Sponsor

Doing away with wires entirely is an attractive thought. I would love to see solar/wind technology evolve to that point.

As a counterpoint, while we are being seduced by our iphones and other technology, let's not forget that we are artists and our primary goal is to touch the hearts of those we serve - not to impress them with gadgets and wizardry.

We don't find new kinds of rocks in Japanese Gardens. We don't see that paints have changed much throughout the centuries. While lv landscape lighting is relatively new, the art of lighting design is very old. Sometimes a firefly lantern is the perfect luminaire.

stevep@voltlighting.com

Outdoor Lighting and LED Light Bulbs from VOLT®.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparrott View Post
let's not forget that we are artists and our primary goal is to touch the hearts of those we serve - not to impress them with gadgets and wizardry.

We don't find new kinds of rocks in Japanese Gardens. We don't see that paints have changed much throughout the centuries. While lv landscape lighting is relatively new, the art of lighting design is very old. Sometimes a firefly lantern is the perfect luminaire.

Well stated Steve!

www.integralighting.com

Old 02-27-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
...... I'd just take that a step further. I'd try to figure out a way to get energy to each of the fixtures without the use of wires...... .
Jim Lewis.........the new Nikola Tesla??

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 02-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Sponsor

Good thread!

GOT A QUESTION?? Call us anytime 1-800-222-4303 Mon-Fri 8-5 EST

*** LAWNSITE members save $20 off any order of $100 or more,
Click Here or use "lawnsite" (in lowercase) when checking out***