Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-02-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

z sprayer

hi, i need some help,, just purchased a used junior 36 z spray it has a 18 gal tank its set to spray 1/3 gal per 1000sq ft,,,so one tank should go 54,000 sq ft.,,I sprayed a 29,000sq ft. yard and it took 20 gal to do it,,,I'm way off,,,,my psi is at 40 and ground speed is at 4mph,,I should also say that I have all 3 handles open when spraying. whats wrong
Old 06-02-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeriod View Post
hi, i need some help,, just purchased a used junior 36 z spray it has a 18 gal tank its set to spray 1/3 gal per 1000sq ft,,,so one tank should go 54,000 sq ft.,,I sprayed a 29,000sq ft. yard and it took 20 gal to do it,,,I'm way off,,,,my psi is at 40 and ground speed is at 4mph,,I should also say that I have all 3 handles open when spraying. whats wrong
Calibrate before you use it.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

We run ours at 5mph.

Every machine is going to be different so kbrashears is right, you need to calibrate yours.

The Z I run myself is set at about 35 or 36 psi with the directo valves in the OFF position. I set it there so it will run at 30 psi when the valves are in the ON position and I am cruising down the line at 5mph. I tweek it occasionally on the fly if need be. If you are not driving one handed yet, you will be soon and this will be easy.

If you are running at 4 mph and want to leave it at that ground speed, you would surely have to run the pump at a lesser psi than what I do to achieve the proper coverage.

Maybe what I've told you about how mine is set will give you a starting point.

Take that starting point and measure out an area and spray it with plain water to calibrate yours.

Call Andy at LT Rich if you need help from there. They love to help. Phone number is on the dashboard
Old 06-03-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If your running 4 mph then you would want to set your pressure at 28 to 30 psi.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

check what color spray tips you are using
Old 06-05-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run the 1/4 gallon tips at 55psi and at 5 mph. 20 gallon tank covers 80k sq ft. I run almost always 1 handed with my foot on the sprayer button or sprayer valves closed and holding the wand in one hand. I like to use the wand for spraying perimeters and edges of walks or drives. Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a video games where I get points for kills. Weed...ZAP. Clover...valves open, blanket spray, SCORE!!!!!! Missed one. Hopper closed, circle back, spot spray...resume spreading.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ray, I just looked online http://z-spray.com/calibration.html since we run yellow tips too. We only run 30 psi on our units to get 1/4 ounce per k. You might be over appkying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Every machine is different. And your machines will change. Calibrate often. It's quick and easy and saves you a lot of money.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd have to double check but pretty sure my manual says 45-55 psi with yellow tips at 5mph. It's an older machine (pre Junior36) not sure if that makes a difference.
There are times though when I do bump it up a little bit if I'm blanketing a new lawn for example.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the purple tips and running it at 32 psi at 5mph. According to the chart I should be right around 54,000 sqft. for the 18 gallons that it holds. Is there anyone who can tell me if i am on the right track. thanks for any help. im new to the z spray and sometimes it feels like it just empties too fast.