Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Old Red Max Problems. New?

Sorry for bringing up another blower question. But I haven't been around in quite awhile and can't really find what I'm looking for in the search function.

My Red Max blowers are finally getting to be too old to make it worthwhile to keep running. When they just can't be considered dependable, its time to go. But these are four and five year old 8000s and 8001s.

Getting around the constant problem of the blowers running like crap during hot weather has always been something I've had to deal with. Those who have had the older 8000s and 8001s know exactly what I'm talking about. When its really hot outside, the 8000s run weaker than a 4000. They bog and I'm quite confident its because they are set up so lean to meet EPA requirements.

So now I'm considering a new blower or two. I went to my local Stihl dealer ready to buy a new 600 but the frames are made so they won't fit in my Trimmertraps. I know they make a Trimmertrap just for Stihl blowers but I'm not ripping perfectly good racks off three trailers just so I can buy Stihl blowers.

So now I'm reading about the Red Max and Husqvarna blowers. They have my interest again because I don't see anyone talking about this old problem. Has Red Max solved this issue that their blowers suffered from a few years ago?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Been running a 7001 for a few(5ish) years and never had a problem. Very strong and starts on second pull every time. And that is not b.s. on starting on second pull.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 5 year old 8001s and I just put new carbs on them and they run like brand new. I also have a 6 month old 7500 and it will blow an 8001 away by a lot. I have never had the hot weather running problems with any of my backpacks, but I know what you are talking about. I have NEVER owned ANY brand of handheld blower that did not give me SEVERE fits in 100 degree weather. Shindaiwa, Redmax, Tanaka, Echo... They all ran crappy in extreme heat. But all my Redmax and Shindaiwa backpacks were ready to roll in any conditions.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had BR600s and 7001's, neither of which hold a candle to the Echo 770T's I'm running now. Pretty sure they'll fit in your trimmertraps too.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just sold my BR600. It was a great blower, but after I bough my Husky 570 BTS when they first came out in late 2011, the Stihl was hard to pick up. I love the 570. It starts easily for me regardless of the weather once it has been started for the day. It takes 4-6 pulls cold every time, but once I run it, it starts easy on the first half pull. If something happened to this one for any reason, I'd go right out and buy another right away. I like it that much. It has a much better shoulder harness that the RM version (the 7500) too.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

i would never put a sthil br600 in a carrier-the frame is too fragil. another brillant desighn from sthil
Old 04-23-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

RM 8001 owner here. Yes, practically no hot weather issues WHEN it's left in the shade between starts. When left in the sun the fuel will percolate (vapor lock) and you'll be fighting air pockets in the fuel lines. There are times when shade is unavailable, so I always unscrew the fuel cap to equalize the air pressure and use primer bulb a few pushes to clear the line of air pockets. It will still run a bit underpowered, just not as long as it would w/o this procedure. Worth a try...
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings