Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-23-2013, 05:42 PM
inzane's Avatar
inzane inzane is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SouthEast
Posts: 1,754
pre-emergent out of a ride on?

I'm trying to figure out if i'm gonna get me a skid sprayer or some type of ride on such as a ground logic or permagreen. I'm gonna have to get something by the fall when I start spraying my bermuda lawns again.. my 50 gal skid sprayer is not gonna be enough. How well are the results from spraying pre-emergents out of a ride on sprayer?? i'd like to be able to spray barricade 4fl or dimension out of the permagreen, as well as my post emergent. i was told that with the low volume spraying you may have to go over a lawn twice to get the proper rate down of a pre-emergent out of a ride-on. that just doesn't sound faster to me. my avg size lawns are 6k to 8k there are plenty of bigger yards out there to get in my area, and ive seen the competition using permagreens year round from what i've seen and they seem to be getting great results even on the smaller yards. Its hard to make up my mind about something that i don't know much about though. got an e-mail from that ground logic guy explaining it a bit, but i'm not quite sold on it yet.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 PM
ted putnam's Avatar
ted putnam ted putnam is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
I'm trying to figure out if i'm gonna get me a skid sprayer or some type of ride on such as a ground logic or permagreen. I'm gonna have to get something by the fall when I start spraying my bermuda lawns again.. my 50 gal skid sprayer is not gonna be enough. How well are the results from spraying pre-emergents out of a ride on sprayer?? i'd like to be able to spray barricade 4fl or dimension out of the permagreen, as well as my post emergent. i was told that with the low volume spraying you may have to go over a lawn twice to get the proper rate down of a pre-emergent out of a ride-on. that just doesn't sound faster to me. my avg size lawns are 6k to 8k there are plenty of bigger yards out there to get in my area, and ive seen the competition using permagreens year round from what i've seen and they seem to be getting great results even on the smaller yards. Its hard to make up my mind about something that i don't know much about though. got an e-mail from that ground logic guy explaining it a bit, but i'm not quite sold on it yet.
IMO, if you want that "style of machine, the Ground Logic is the way to go.

As far as spraying low volume, there's no need to go over the lawn twice. I would use L's, EC's or FL's for sure. I would stay away from the dry formualtions of pre's.(tends to clog) Also, it's pretty hard to get simazine to flow properly when used at label rates. Too thick.

DG's and DF's are fine when the rate per acre is lower such as some of the post emergent herbicides for warm season turf.

I use a Z-spray now and it works great. I used to have a PG Ultra that I sprayed pre's with and it worked great as well.
__________________
"The Poor Fish" circa 1930's: The Poor Fish wouldn't have been caught if he'd known enough to keep his fool mouth shut.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-23-2013, 10:52 PM
americanlawn's Avatar
americanlawn americanlawn is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: midwest
Posts: 5,681
Ground Logic is merely an improved version of a Permagreen. Z-Sprays are too cumbersome, bulky, & complicated for his needs. Kinda surprised you didn't mention the TURFCO T3000i. Just wonderin'. Nothing against Ground Logic cuz we see them around once in awhile.
__________________
Proud subscriber of TURF Magazine. (thanks Ron)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 PM
kbrashears's Avatar
kbrashears kbrashears is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Central Arkansas
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Ground Logic is merely an improved version of a Permagreen. Z-Sprays are too cumbersome, bulky, & complicated for his needs. Kinda surprised you didn't mention the TURFCO T3000i. Just wonderin'. Nothing against Ground Logic cuz we see them around once in awhile.
Whatever. I could work circles around your guys with my ZMax on 6-8m yards all day long.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 PM
ted putnam's Avatar
ted putnam ted putnam is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Ground Logic is merely an improved version of a Permagreen. Z-Sprays are too cumbersome, bulky, & complicated for his needs. Kinda surprised you didn't mention the TURFCO T3000i. Just wonderin'. Nothing against Ground Logic cuz we see them around once in awhile.
Key word is "improved". That's why I gave him my opinion that the Ground Logic would be the better of the 2.

He already knows what "style" of machine he wants. It's obviously the type with an articulating joint. There's no reason to try to talk him into something else. He can change his own mind...for pete's sake.

You didn't see me trying to talk him into a Z-spray, did you? By the way, they're only complicated for "simpletons"

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and preferences...you included.

Your just so damned pushy with yours that it gets on peoples nerves...

Give it a rest already...
__________________
"The Poor Fish" circa 1930's: The Poor Fish wouldn't have been caught if he'd known enough to keep his fool mouth shut.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor

Last edited by ted putnam; 04-23-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 PM
ted putnam's Avatar
ted putnam ted putnam is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,172
Also, the question was(since you obviously missed it in your rush to post something about your choice of ride-on)

Can pre's be sprayed out of a ride-on?(paraphrased)

The answer is yes...with confidence.
__________________
"The Poor Fish" circa 1930's: The Poor Fish wouldn't have been caught if he'd known enough to keep his fool mouth shut.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-24-2013, 10:54 AM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 8,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrashears View Post
Whatever. I could work circles around your guys with my ZMax on 6-8m yards all day long.
Doubt that. I wouldn't want to put a beast like that on a small lawn, bull in a china shop.

Also for OP - I wouldn't do pre's out of a ride on, at least liquid that is. Just fling it that is what rideon's do best.
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
2013 Gravely Pro Turn 260 with Kohler 26.5 EFI
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-24-2013, 11:05 AM
djagusch djagusch is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Doubt that. I wouldn't want to put a beast like that on a small lawn, bull in a china shop.

Also for OP - I wouldn't do pre's out of a ride on, at least liquid that is. Just fling it that is what rideon's do best.
Drive a garden tractor then a full size ztr. Circles, drag races, or in reverse the ztr would win. Same differnce between the z and t.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-24-2013, 11:41 AM
inzane's Avatar
inzane inzane is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SouthEast
Posts: 1,754
i wouldn't mind all granular pre emergent and just spraying my post emergent out of the ride on.. however, granular pre is too expensive for me compared to the liquid, if i can't do liquid pre emergent out of the ride on i'll get a skid sprayer. it is very tempting to go with a permagreen in order to make the job easier and faster, however.. i'm afraid to try something new and my gut tells me to stick with what i know. lol. I think if i can find a used PG that may be a good starting point to test the waters.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Doubt that. I wouldn't want to put a beast like that on a small lawn, bull in a china shop.

Also for OP - I wouldn't do pre's out of a ride on, at least liquid that is. Just fling it that is what rideon's do best.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-24-2013, 11:54 AM
gregory gregory is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: southwest florida
Posts: 1,061
Ted you guys left out some important info on a T3000 that larry has told us.. and thats you can play frisbee while using your T3000...


dont know how things are done up there but i am just a plain home owner and when i spray my yard i dont have anybody in my yard.. so i dont play frisbee when i am using my z spray jr...
__________________
The Internet lets you be anything you wannabe except smart. Your stupidity will always come out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 AM.

Page generated in 0.07490 seconds with 7 queries