Register free!

Old 04-23-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

pre-emergent out of a ride on?

I'm trying to figure out if i'm gonna get me a skid sprayer or some type of ride on such as a ground logic or permagreen. I'm gonna have to get something by the fall when I start spraying my bermuda lawns again.. my 50 gal skid sprayer is not gonna be enough. How well are the results from spraying pre-emergents out of a ride on sprayer?? i'd like to be able to spray barricade 4fl or dimension out of the permagreen, as well as my post emergent. i was told that with the low volume spraying you may have to go over a lawn twice to get the proper rate down of a pre-emergent out of a ride-on. that just doesn't sound faster to me. my avg size lawns are 6k to 8k there are plenty of bigger yards out there to get in my area, and ive seen the competition using permagreens year round from what i've seen and they seem to be getting great results even on the smaller yards. Its hard to make up my mind about something that i don't know much about though. got an e-mail from that ground logic guy explaining it a bit, but i'm not quite sold on it yet.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
I'm trying to figure out if i'm gonna get me a skid sprayer or some type of ride on such as a ground logic or permagreen. I'm gonna have to get something by the fall when I start spraying my bermuda lawns again.. my 50 gal skid sprayer is not gonna be enough. How well are the results from spraying pre-emergents out of a ride on sprayer?? i'd like to be able to spray barricade 4fl or dimension out of the permagreen, as well as my post emergent. i was told that with the low volume spraying you may have to go over a lawn twice to get the proper rate down of a pre-emergent out of a ride-on. that just doesn't sound faster to me. my avg size lawns are 6k to 8k there are plenty of bigger yards out there to get in my area, and ive seen the competition using permagreens year round from what i've seen and they seem to be getting great results even on the smaller yards. Its hard to make up my mind about something that i don't know much about though. got an e-mail from that ground logic guy explaining it a bit, but i'm not quite sold on it yet.
IMO, if you want that "style of machine, the Ground Logic is the way to go.

As far as spraying low volume, there's no need to go over the lawn twice. I would use L's, EC's or FL's for sure. I would stay away from the dry formualtions of pre's.(tends to clog) Also, it's pretty hard to get simazine to flow properly when used at label rates. Too thick.

DG's and DF's are fine when the rate per acre is lower such as some of the post emergent herbicides for warm season turf.

I use a Z-spray now and it works great. I used to have a PG Ultra that I sprayed pre's with and it worked great as well.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 04-23-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ground Logic is merely an improved version of a Permagreen. Z-Sprays are too cumbersome, bulky, & complicated for his needs. Kinda surprised you didn't mention the TURFCO T3000i. Just wonderin'. Nothing against Ground Logic cuz we see them around once in awhile.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Ground Logic is merely an improved version of a Permagreen. Z-Sprays are too cumbersome, bulky, & complicated for his needs. Kinda surprised you didn't mention the TURFCO T3000i. Just wonderin'. Nothing against Ground Logic cuz we see them around once in awhile.
Whatever. I could work circles around your guys with my ZMax on 6-8m yards all day long.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Key word is "improved". That's why I gave him my opinion that the Ground Logic would be the better of the 2.

He already knows what "style" of machine he wants. It's obviously the type with an articulating joint. There's no reason to try to talk him into something else. He can change his own mind...for pete's sake.

You didn't see me trying to talk him into a Z-spray, did you? By the way, they're only complicated for "simpletons"

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and preferences...you included.

Your just so damned pushy with yours that it gets on peoples nerves...

Give it a rest already...

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor

Last edited by ted putnam; 04-23-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Also, the question was(since you obviously missed it in your rush to post something about your choice of ride-on)

Can pre's be sprayed out of a ride-on?(paraphrased)

The answer is yes...with confidence.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrashears View Post
Whatever. I could work circles around your guys with my ZMax on 6-8m yards all day long.
Doubt that. I wouldn't want to put a beast like that on a small lawn, bull in a china shop.

Also for OP - I wouldn't do pre's out of a ride on, at least liquid that is. Just fling it that is what rideon's do best.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-24-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Doubt that. I wouldn't want to put a beast like that on a small lawn, bull in a china shop.

Also for OP - I wouldn't do pre's out of a ride on, at least liquid that is. Just fling it that is what rideon's do best.
Drive a garden tractor then a full size ztr. Circles, drag races, or in reverse the ztr would win. Same differnce between the z and t.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i wouldn't mind all granular pre emergent and just spraying my post emergent out of the ride on.. however, granular pre is too expensive for me compared to the liquid, if i can't do liquid pre emergent out of the ride on i'll get a skid sprayer. it is very tempting to go with a permagreen in order to make the job easier and faster, however.. i'm afraid to try something new and my gut tells me to stick with what i know. lol. I think if i can find a used PG that may be a good starting point to test the waters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post

Old 04-24-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ted you guys left out some important info on a T3000 that larry has told us.. and thats you can play frisbee while using your T3000...

dont know how things are done up there but i am just a plain home owner and when i spray my yard i dont have anybody in my yard.. so i dont play frisbee when i am using my z spray jr...