Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
How the heck can you guys cut so low? i'm scalping at 3"
I've never used that particular piece of equipment, but uneven surface seems like it would be part of the problem with scalping. 3" is not a low cut under ordinary circumstances. Does the equipment have a real wide wheelbase? That can make the problem worse, just like with an SUV, you want the short wheelbase off road to makes sure the middle part is not getting scraped.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
in other words you just skip the yard that day.

hmmm now there's an idea. i'll just not mow people's yards at all since they yards are about 5" before i cut them anyways. i'll say yeah i mowed it at 5". it will keep the grass from turning brown in the summer heat and help keep weeds out. i'm sure that would go over well.

Not really- if a fescue lawn you normally cut at 3.75 or 4 inches, an it poors down rain and gets up fairly high, I just hit it at 5". Then the following week move it up two days in the schedule and mow it properly at 3.75. My customers appreciate the lawn bein taken care of. Mostly higher end residentials don't want it mowed at 2". They want the proper look of 3-4" mowed every 6-8 days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
how much do you charge? most peopel do .50 a foot for edging. with an edger not trimmer.
Are you talking about just edging the grass between concrete and the turf? I charge a penny a foot. It's like a 5 minute job at the most to do 200 feet. And that's if it's bad.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Are you talking about just edging the grass between concrete and the turf? I charge a penny a foot. It's like a 5 minute job at the most to do 200 feet. And that's if it's bad.
I wouldn't pull out of my driveway for $2
Old 05-05-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I wouldn't pull out of my driveway for $2
Neither would I. It's part of the lawn service. I do it every week.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

most people up here use the bezel method. but as far as I understand continual edging is more necessary in the south because of the grass types. I have thought about trying trimmer edging.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you should check your deck to be sure it's right. even a brand new one can sometimes be off 1/2" or so.

park on a level concrete surface like a garage and set the deck height at 3". put your blades front to back by hand and measure from the floor to the bottom edge of the front of the blade. it should be 3". yours may be way off if you are scalping while mowing at 3".

i have to mow at like 1"-1 1/2" to scalp anything.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Not really- if a fescue lawn you normally cut at 3.75 or 4 inches, an it poors down rain and gets up fairly high, I just hit it at 5". Then the following week move it up two days in the schedule and mow it properly at 3.75. My customers appreciate the lawn bein taken care of. Mostly higher end residentials don't want it mowed at 2". They want the proper look of 3-4" mowed every 6-8 days.
Posted via Mobile Device
i would never do that. i would just mow it at the normal height every time.

also i mow southern warm season grasses not fescue so that's why i mow it shorter. a weekly yard here is 4" before i cut it down to 2".

4" tall southern grass is as tall as you wanna let it get before you cut it again. the every other week yards are about 6" when i go to mow them and they look terribly out of control almost. i mow them down to 2" as well. so they look good for about a week or a week and a half at the most and then they start looking shaggy.

i don't mow it higher just because it rained that week or something. i cut it the same height no matter if the grass is 3" or 8". it gets cut down to 2" and looks good when i leave.

if it was 8" because of alot of rain if i cut it down to 4" it would still be right back up to 8" the next time i came back to mow so i'd be faced with the same problem. might as well fix it the first time i mow the yard.

Last edited by weeze; 05-05-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i would never do that. the schedule would be all over the place. i mow 1 time a week or 1 time every two weeks. that's all i offer.

also i mow southern warm season grasses not fescue so that's why i mow it shorter. a weekly yard here is 4" before i cut it down to 2". 4" tall southern grass is as tall as you wanna let it get before you cut it again. the every other week yards are about 6" when i go to mow them and they look terribly out of control almost. i mow them down to 2" as well. so they look good for about a week or a week and a half at the most and then they start looking shaggy.
So why the hell are you hounding me?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
So why the hell are you hounding me?
Posted via Mobile Device
huh?

i'm not.

i'm just saying how i do things and trying to explain why.