Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here's the dumb of it...

Cutting it too short, soon as the temps hit 85 will kill the grass.
Most of the folks in the 2" cut mindset, that is what they think they want.
These folks are hell bent on KILLING the grass, they HATE lawn, they think if they can just get rid of it that is one less headache... To top it all off, they hire one of us to cut it and... They'll never spend a dime above and beyond, but if they do it's like trying to get blood out of a turnip. That is not entirely true, unfortunately few have found the Lco they really need, either.

Because...
Once there is no grass, soon weeds take over.
And weeds grow FASTER than grass with FAR LESS water!
You will have to cut it MORE in summer than if it were all grass.

In conclusion...
It isn't really that much more expensive to maintain a decent lawn.
But, and in all fairness it isn't all their fault either, this game rolls both ways.
So as a rule you do need Lco's with more than 3-4 years behind their ears.
5-10 is good for starters, what you need is an Lco who can see PAST the $35 they're getting if they cut it today.
You need an Lco smart enough to understand weather patterns, and what effect mowing has on turf.
Someone who has witnessed it time after time, year after year, and has learned from it all.
That is who you need on the mowing end.

Now if they only want me to cut it every two weeks, fine by me, I have some only want it once a month.
All of that is no problem, but I cut all of mine at 4"
Some are all right with that, others aren't.
Works for me.

Last edited by herler; 04-25-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i wont do monthly cuts. too hard on the equipment. almost no pay is not worth the abuse on the equipment
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

As long as I get paid I'll do whatever they want. I had an old lady that chased me down to make sure my mower was actually set on "1" because she thought I was mowing the grass too high (I wasn't, it was under 2 inches already) I explained to her it wasn't good to cut it that low ans she didn't care and that's what she wanted so I put it on 1 and let it fly. What a terrible job that was, but I wanted to prove a point. I hacked it to dirt and practically needed a bailer but I let the clippings lay. Scalped it all to hell. Man that yard looked like ****, but she never asked for it to be put on one again.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLE View Post
As long as I get paid I'll do whatever they want. I had an old lady that chased me down to make sure my mower was actually set on "1" because she thought I was mowing the grass too high (I wasn't, it was under 2 inches already) I explained to her it wasn't good to cut it that low ans she didn't care and that's what she wanted so I put it on 1 and let it fly. What a terrible job that was, but I wanted to prove a point. I hacked it to dirt and practically needed a bailer but I let the clippings lay. Scalped it all to hell. Man that yard looked like ****, but she never asked for it to be put on one again.
and her neighbor never asked you to do his lawn either. you are lucky you didnt get sued for taring up her yard. sure you woudl have won but 3k worth of attorney fees worth making a point to someone who obviously did not understand?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
and her neighbor never asked you to do his lawn either. you are lucky you didnt get sued for taring up her yard. sure you woudl have won but 3k worth of attorney fees worth making a point to someone who obviously did not understand?
He did what the customer asked him to do. How is that wrong and how could she possibly sue him after asking him to do it? I know I'd NEVER cut a lawn down that low. If I did, it would be to power/slit seed the lawn.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

people have been sued for much less than that. all she has to say was I had good grass he cut it now its dead.

whether she wins depends non how dumb the judge is
Old 04-26-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The optimum mowing height is where the turf will perform best, creating the thickest turf, and requiring the fewest inputs. With the major cool season grass varieties, mowing above 3.5" will tend to create a less dense turf with coarser leaf blades, and scraggly appearance. Mowing below 2" will create a weak turf that will require more inputs like fertilizer, irrigation, and pesticides to control weeds, diseases, and insects. Can excellent turf be maintained below a 2" mowing height? Yes, it can, but it will require much more time, energy, and money to maintain that turf. It's as simple as that. I would not accept a lawn job under 2" unless the customer is willing to spend what it takes to make a good lawn, because bad results will be blamed on the LCC, which is bad advertising and bad business.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
people have been sued for much less than that. all she has to say was I had good grass he cut it now its dead.

whether she wins depends non how dumb the judge is

You seem very hung up on this lawsuit thing.

Who do you mow lawns for? Millionaires with golf course lawns, or "regular folk"?

I think your fears are completely irrational.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
You seem very hung up on this lawsuit thing.

Who do you mow lawns for? Millionaires with golf course lawns, or "regular folk"?

I think your fears are completely irrational.
both actually.

why I'd it irrational when it happens every day?
Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
both actually.

why I'd it irrational when it happens every day?

Then you should be able to cite at least 7 sources from the past week alone.

I'll settle for two.

I'll go find a comfortable chair because I think this may take a while.