Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2013, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Phosphorus In The Water Now

With the snow melt and the rain and the frozen tundra,,, the water has no place to soak in so it is rushing down the rivers taking down the banks and running BROWN into the lakes that it feeds into...

When I think about where P comes from I really have a hard time imagining that if we banned ALL fertilizer from lawns that our Lakes would not suffer algae bloom...

Our lakes always go the green slime in Aug-Sept before the first lawn was ever built... Algae blooms on lake w/out lawns in the middle of nowhere,,, surrounded by trees and SpringFed as opposed to RiverFed lakes and they still have erosion and masses of OM choking them off,,, and having Algae Bloom or green slime as we called it...

I see from the weather stories we are getting a HUGE supply of raw material into the waterways and getting ready for our next "algae bloom"...

Still I'm upset when LCO like TGCL will be dumping granules on the slopes over looking lakes and rivers, before the grass even has a chance at slowing the movement of materials into the water...

Is there any soil that does not already contain P??? Accessible P is different than P being bound tight to soil particles all over the world... Just wondering if anyone has found some dirt that did not have P attached to it already???

Something to think about the next time our bureaucratic geniuses get together to ponder the algae bloom and what the children should be told and what the official line of gov't should be...
Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In 1521 Ponce De leon sail around Florida and reported bad smelling water and dead Fish (RED TIDE). But the Tree Hugging Granola Nuts want to blame modern fertilizer saying Red Tide was never here before fertilizer.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You mean like this SA?

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...s-into-lake-mi

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 04-24-2013, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Damnit Mark. Whats wrong with your state? I thought those geniuses in govt up there would have found a way to put a filter at the end of all their rivers. Now im afraid to get in the lake!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

In 1521 Ponce De leon sail around Florida and reported bad smelling water and dead Fish (RED TIDE). But the Tree Hugging Granola Nuts want to blame modern fertilizer saying Red Tide was never here before fertilizer.

You absolutely right. Who would ever think that humans pollute? Now that is just downright silly.

BTW Ric .... I am sure you have some credible references that state red tides never occurred before modern fertilizer usage.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And man caused the demise of the dino's too.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I can't believe that the 'leeching' rate of P, from lawns or farms, is even noticeable in the whole piicture...
Runoff, is such a huge part of the story and decay OM from forest and field that NEVER gets cleaned out... even the lake beds have P in their sands, mucks and clays and lots of anaerobic microbes working tirelessly day and nite, modifying the ecosystems of the world...

And I gotta say too, that we have visual proff/evidence that those 'greenies' that consider NEGLECT as STEWARDSHIP and let the shoreline grow wild and never clean the edge,,, continually move the mucky landmass out into the water to form mosquito swamps... mosquito swamps not only are full of algae blooms but moss and larger plants as well...

Are the children ever told these things in the gov't Universties??? No,,, they are told just the opposite, becuz the gov't grants that pay their projects HAVE TO come to these conclusions...
It is as foolish as the earthworm killing the forests in N. America... But all the cultish, uni. worhipping greenies will be filled with outrage and spew EMOTIONAL garbage,,, but will never stand in a logical POINT/COUNTER-POINT discussion, toprove me wrong...

Sorry for thr rant...
Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is nothing ....... NOTHING ..... ever logical (or even most of the time correct) about your posts axe ..... sorry for speaking the truth.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
And man caused the demise of the dino's too.
And the earth is flat.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Brown river water during floods brings in P by the ton into a Lake and there is NOTHING true about that concept...
only,,, the little earthway spreaders on lawn putting down P that will leech 2 or 3 molecules a rainstorm is our largest problem,,, you bet'cha...