Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-24-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Best mid-grade zero turn for the money?

Ok, I'm sure there are a million threads on this, but in my google search I couldn't find them. I had been using the site for research, but this is my time posting and I need some suggestions.

I'm on my 3rd year of small residential yards and decided I wanted to break into the acreage side of things this year. I put the cart before the horse and had 2 accounts before I bought a rider. I got a used craftsman junk pile a couple of weeks ago that barely made it through the yards and I already got rid of it. Now I need to get something else soon, so I don't lose those accounts. The two yards are 1 acre and 1.5 acres. I don't ever expect to do more than 3 acres, but most will be in that 1.5 ac range. I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I need to know options. I want something with a Kawasaki motor, so that will help narrow it down some. Right now I'm considering the Hustler Raptor (residential) for $2999 (23 hp 52") and a Husquvarna at Lowes, website has it for $4499, but I can get 10% off (54" 24 hp). I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is the MZ5424S on the Husqvarna website? Anyway, I don't want to spend that much, but if it's worth it, then I can swing it. Helps that I'm sitting on $800 worth of Lowes gift cards.

So what do you recommend in these price ranges for what I'm doing? Keep in mind I'll only have 2-6 of these 1-3 acre accounts and each will need to be cut every 2 weeks.

Thank you
Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best mid-grade zero turn for the money?

I would never buy something from lowes or Home Depot. Everything is built cheaper. Thinner metal on mower decks etc. go on Craigslist and find a used 52" ZTR John Deere or scag

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio Lawn Care View Post
I would never buy something from lowes or Home Depot. Everything is built cheaper. Thinner metal on mower decks etc. go on Craigslist and find a used 52" ZTR John Deere or scag
Agree 100% use your gift cards on other products.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought the husqvarna mz5225 it has been a good zt so far.
13 Husqavarna 323
Accelerator 4.2 cu
7x16 Sure-Trac open trailer
http://www.360lawncarenc.com/
Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Husqvarna, dixie chopper has a few, toro titan, the new kubota z100, badboy simplicity, snapper pro, world lawn. All of them have mowers in the $4500 to $5000 price range and all build well. My personal pick would be snapper pro, dixie chopper, simplicity or kubota z100
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree instead of buying inferior buy used to get better quality. You can find lots of scags for under $4000. Gravely also makes a quality residential mower. I have been using a Gravely 1540 (no longer made) for 7 years with no major repairs.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I use commercial equipment...however. There is a guy on another lawn forum that uses the timecutters from Home Depot.

Now...some will bark and say "trash" and they're probably justified in saying that. But...this guy uses them and he's a legit. company.

Again, personally I would buy a used commercial ztr...
Old 04-24-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Personally, I use commercial equipment...however. There is a guy on another lawn forum that uses the timecutters from Home Depot.

Now...some will bark and say "trash" and they're probably justified in saying that. But...this guy uses them and he's a legit. company.

Again, personally I would buy a used commercial ztr...
I started with a time cutter, but the decks are wayyyyyyy to thin for what we do. I put a good 700 hrs on it though, it worked.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I started with a time cutter, but the decks are wayyyyyyy to thin for what we do. I put a good 700 hrs on it though, it worked.
Decks...yeah that's one of the arguments that I've always heard. I never understood that though. I can see other components like spindles, transmissions, etc...but the decks? I mean, we're not running into anything with these decks right?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Exmark has a rebate and 0% financing program going on til the end of May. Buy the best and it'll last for years.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill