Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-24-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

If this were a full time gig I would no doubt be buying the best, but mowing roughly 75 hrs/year on the rider, if my math is right, I don't need the best. Not too mention, I don't want to mow 2-3 years just to pay for the mower. Would be nice to pocket something for all that time spent working, right? That's why the $2999 is VERY attractive to me, but if spending $4K will double the life then I can justify that. $4500 is absolute max, but that would take me nearly 2 seasons just to break even. Doesn't sound fun. I'm basing my math on 4 accounts.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Hold out for a good used commerical machine. I got a lazer z hp 52" with 200 hours for 2750.00 mower was used a home guy moved and needed the money, I stole it, I would just wait for the right deal to come along. I took one ride on my buddies residential exmark and laughed at him and his 4500 price tag. Huge difference in mowers.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Look for a good used commercial zero turn or go with the Snapper Pro. If you went with a 48 inch deck, you can actually still use it on a lot of your smaller properties, you might be surprised. That would certainly help justify the expense of a zero turn. They can be very efficient.

I would go with the 19 hp Kawasaki and the 48 inch deck in this one and you should be right around your $4500 limit:

http://www.snapperpro.com/models/features/5:s50xt

Oh yeah, the ICD deck is hard to beat for cut quality.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i don't consider those mowers mid-grade. those are low grade. mid grade is a ztr that cost about $6000-$8000.

i used my dad's husqvarna RZ5424 for awhile before i had my john deere z920a. it worked but when i got my deere it cut my mowing time in half.

commercial mower is alot better. i didn't think there would be such a difference but the difference is huge. mostly in the amount of time you save by getting done quicker. also the deck will remain in adjustment and not get out of adjustment like a residential mower will over time. i've used my deere 3 seasons now and it's still in perfect adjustment. i've never had to touch it.

if you get the husqvarna it should only cost around $3000 though not $4499.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are the Ariens the same as Gravelys?

The Ariens at Home Depoit look real good, but Ive never seen a LCO use one, I has a chance to but a 52" returned one once for 2700$ but didnt pull the trigger.

Heres the current model, the one I was looking at had a Kawasaki engine, Kohler is probably ok.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-54...3056313?N=c5ak
Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Are the Ariens the same as Gravelys?

The Ariens at Home Depoit look real good, but Ive never seen a LCO use one, I has a chance to but a 52" returned one once for 2700$ but didnt pull the trigger.

Heres the current model, the one I was looking at had a Kawasaki engine, Kohler is probably ok.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-54...3056313?N=c5ak
Ariens is not the same as Gravely. Gravely is owned by Ariens and they share some of the basic styling. Gravely is full commercial. Ariens is high end home owner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Ariens is not the same as Gravely. Gravely is owned by Ariens and they share some of the basic styling. Gravely is full commercial. Ariens is high end home owner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats good to know.

A couple of years ago I compared pictures of each and other than the oaint and stickers they looked Identical.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
That's not exactly right. Gravely does have residential units similar to the Ariens models.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

You seem stuck on a home depot or Lowes mower cause of the price. Personally I would search Craigslist for a newer used commercial mower with key words like zeroturn, zero turn, mower, ztr, stander. Buy good now or pay for it later. Just think of the hassle of getting a box store mower fixed when it breaks.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowtyt View Post
If this were a full time gig I would no doubt be buying the best, but mowing roughly 75 hrs/year on the rider, if my math is right, I don't need the best. Not too mention, I don't want to mow 2-3 years just to pay for the mower. Would be nice to pocket something for all that time spent working, right? That's why the $2999 is VERY attractive to me, but if spending $4K will double the life then I can justify that. $4500 is absolute max, but that would take me nearly 2 seasons just to break even. Doesn't sound fun. I'm basing my math on 4 accounts.
A$3000 mower will not last the pumps can not take the day to day use. just my 2 cents
2-21' mowers
4-gas trimmers
4-gas blowers
3-back pack blowers
6x14 trailer/dovetail
7x18 open trailer / car
04 ford f-250 crew 4x4
2013 ford f-150 crew 4x4