Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-08-2013, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
OP shoulda got a gravely zt 52hd. Commercial components and engine at a homeowner unit price. i got mine for only $5,000 in 2011, ive put 500 hours on it so far, no problems at all.
That's a whole other price braket. If he goes 5 then why not 7, if you go 7 why not 9, if you go 9 why not 14, if you go 14 why not get a scag TT whith a cat diesel for 18 g.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2015, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowtyt View Post
Well, I know it sounds like I didn't listen to anyone, but I really did. The thing is, I read the comments of those that say that a residential won't last day to day, however, what part of 2 accounts is day to day? Right now I mow 2 days per month with the rider. If I go to 4 accounts, I'll still only mow 2 days/month. Being a business, I'm in this to make money, and if I spend $10K on a commercial ztr it'll basically NEVER pay for itself in a part time business. If I buy a used commercial, I'm taking a huge risk. I bought a used garden tractor before this and found out in a short period of time that it was a junk pile. I couldn't afford to take that chance again. I'm still relatively new to the part time lawn business thing (3 years) but I know keeping up with 22 walk behind accounts and 2 rider accounts keeps me plenty busy without having to worry about whether or not I'm going to have issues with the ztr when I go out to get on it. I have NO PLANS to go FT with this business, so the $2999 hustler with what I consider a commerical motor was the most logical choice. I merely got on here to see if there was another ztr in the price range that I hadn't heard about that was turning heads as much as this little Hustler has. I did go by Lowes the day that I bought the Hustler to see what they could do on the Husquavarna, but they wouldn't budge. Not knocking them, but there wasn't even close to $1500 worth of difference in the two ZTR's. I would've spent an extra $500 or so to get the extra 2.5mph with 2K rpm higher blade speed, but not more than that.

Now that I've written a book, I'll give a short review on the new Hustler. I was really thinking it was slow yesterday when I was mowing with it, probably had it at 80% throttle not knowing that I hadn't pushed it all the way forward. It shaved about 20 min off the 1 acre yard, not bad. Today I mowed 1.5 acres and it shaved over an hour off my previous time. It was a combination of more seat time, and figuring out what full throttle can do for you. I don't know if those engines are made to run at full throttle for prolonged periods of time, but I would like advice from anyone that knows if it makes a difference. It definitely made a difference in my mowing time. Obviously if it signficantly shortens the life of the engine it wouldn't be worth it though.

Thanks all for the info
So could you give an update?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2015, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

2 1/2 seasons later it's never let me down, which is surprising since I've used it as a brushhog a few times, regretfully so everytime. I still only mow anywhere from 2-4 yards with the Hustler and they are all on 2 week schedules. I have recommended it to anyone that has asked. None of the other ZTR's in this price range, that I've seen, have a Kawasaki motor on them. They usually have Briggs or Kohler. Kohler is good, but I'd still prefer the Kawasaki. I wish it had an hr meter to help me service increments, but I have been just changing the oil twice/year. I did try some Oregon Blades, which were a lot thicker, heavier, and more expensive, but I don't think they cut as good to be honest, so I went back to OEM after. It's still not crazy fast like the commercial models, but for what I do it's perfect and it's long ago paid for itself. I'd still have a long ways to go had I bought commercial.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
2 1/2 seasons later it's never let me down, which is surprising since I've used it as a brushhog a few times, regretfully so everytime. I still only mow anywhere from 2-4 yards with the Hustler and they are all on 2 week schedules. I have recommended it to anyone that has asked. None of the other ZTR's in this price range, that I've seen, have a Kawasaki motor on them. They usually have Briggs or Kohler. Kohler is good, but I'd still prefer the Kawasaki. I wish it had an hr meter to help me service increments, but I have been just changing the oil twice/year. I did try some Oregon Blades, which were a lot thicker, heavier, and more expensive, but I don't think they cut as good to be honest, so I went back to OEM after. It's still not crazy fast like the commercial models, but for what I do it's perfect and it's long ago paid for itself. I'd still have a long ways to go had I bought commercial.
Thanks for the update! I'm going to talk to my dealer tomorrow. I want to add a motor guard and a meter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2015, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Don't know how Hustler would like it, but he was getting build up real quick on the deck so he actually cut the extra piece across the chute opening. He said he hasn't had any build up issue after that, but he mows alot of different grasses on it.
Are you talking about the little cross bar at the bottom of the discharge opening? So instead of the opening being a 4 sided framed box it is now 3 sided which is minus the bottom bar? I have 2 Raptors and they are clogging constantly especially in wet grass. If that has helped the issue then I will take a grinder and cut off that bar. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I put a set of gator blades on my Raptor SD 54" and IMHO they are far superior to the stock blades. You are talking about the Gator blades?
Old 07-05-2015, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, I believe they were the gator blades. Might have just been in my head, but I had serious clogging issues right from the get go with those, so in my mind, I blamed the brand new gator blades.
My Raptor does clog sometimes, so I carry a stick with me to unclog it. The only times it clogs is when I'm using it as a brushhog, literally mowed some johnson grass that was 5' tall the other day, and when the grass is pretty wet. I just assumed all mowers would do this in these scenarious, just the same as my walk behinds do.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yes, I believe they were the gator blades. Might have just been in my head, but I had serious clogging issues right from the get go with those, so in my mind, I blamed the brand new gator blades.
My Raptor does clog sometimes, so I carry a stick with me to unclog it. The only times it clogs is when I'm using it as a brushhog, literally mowed some johnson grass that was 5' tall the other day, and when the grass is pretty wet. I just assumed all mowers would do this in these scenarious, just the same as my walk behinds do.
I have seen many mowers do this, including both my Raptors, but my JD 7 Iron Pro deck doesn't clog at all in any conditions. It is shocking sometimes the amount of thick wet grass that thing throws out without even coming close to clogging. I think the V+ decks are also good in that regard.